2 Replies - 1339 Views - Last Post: 25 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Java Web Apps

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

Could someone give me an idea on how to write a Java web application, and how can I make it so that other users that are on my network can type a name in a web browser window and it'll open up that application, or run a file that is located on my computer (html even)? Just some questions I'm throwing out there

Cheers,
Chris
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java Web Apps

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java Web Apps

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

Creating a web app -- This is not hard but it can take a little bit to get setup. Do you have something like Tomcat or Glassfish setup?

What IDE (if any) are you using?

If you don't have Tomcat or glassfish I would recommend downloading one or the other (Tomcat is probably more simple but Glassfish can do more).

I would also recommend using either Eclipse (esp. with tomcat) or NetBeans (esp. with glassfish).

If you get Eclipse ensure you get the java EE edition.

Once you have installed the server (Tomcat or glassfish) then you should be able to get to some happy page by going to: http://localhost/

You might see a 404 error but it will actually have the name of the server on it.

You can test connectivity by going to another computer and trying out the page. To do this you will need to know the IP address of your computer. then goto: http://<your IP address here>/ and see if the happy page displays. If it does not then you may have to check the network settings (such as you local computer's firewall).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Java Web Apps

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

Thanks a lot man, that was exactly what I was looking for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1