My Boss Made Me Do It!

Moral and ethical dilemmas in the workplace...

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 2371 Views - Last Post: 07 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

My Boss Made Me Do It!

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:40 AM

We have a client who has refused - for many months - to pay up for the website we developed for him. Today, we recieved a phone call from a competitor asking for the source code and domain access so as to move the client - kit and caboodle - to his services. Obviously, if he hasn't paid for the site, we're not going to turn over the source files, instead, my boss had me remove the files from the server and replace them with this.

I have spent most of my day rather appalled by the change. I think it's rude, obnoxious and completely unprofessional. But it got me wondering about the rest of you.. what things have you had to do under boss' orders regardless of whether or not you were comfortable with the task?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My Boss Made Me Do It!

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My Boss Made Me Do It!

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

hahaha ties in nicely with my bad business decisions thread.

Well the client refuses to pay for services, why you even let the site go live without payment, or even developed without some form of payment is beyond me. Then he/she has the audacity to ask for the source files so he can pay someone else to maintain the site?

Interesting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:04 PM

My boss has told me to get on the phone with someone and tell them off so they'd stop calling. The reason they asked me to do it was because I'm the intern and if any complaints were registered they'd say "Well he's only an intern, we'll take care of it."

Mhm.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 baavgai   User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

I'm rather amused. It seems pretty tame, really.

I work at a State utility. We are subject to audits as the wind blows. Some reflect legitimate concerns, many have more to do with politics that any real issue. In this spirit, I'm occasionally asked for employee lists with various pieces of information. It's all public record, my name and salary are actually on the internet. The kicker; the reports are provided paper only with the names in random order. The information must be provided, it needn't be easy. The first time I did that I asked for confirmation about half a dozen times.

As for non payment; we're a utility. If a municipality defaults long enough, we've actually backfilled the station with concrete. Keeping in mind, this is Jersey. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

Once one of my job duties was I got to do the backups of the desktop & email of the suckers that were about to be canned. & it sucked because I wasn't able to tell them even thought I knew days in advance. So I had to have lunch with these guys that would laugh, carry-on, & talk about their family, while I knew that come Friday, uhm, well I can give you a letter of recommendation!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:48 PM

I like it. I could definitely see how that could backfire negatively on your business though, but the guy didn't pay. :\
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

Indeed, if they didn't pay the site should not have gone live. Although I wouldn't feel a tad bit bad about putting up a website such as that that said he had not paid. Furthermore I would do proceed to annoy the people until it would have been far worth it to pay me what the website had actually cost. This is why I don't develop websites.

This post has been edited by Notorion: 07 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:17 PM

View PostKYA, on 7 Jul, 2009 - 02:48 PM, said:

I like it. I could definitely see how that could backfire negatively on your business though, but the guy didn't pay. :\

I completely agree. One hundred percent. It could totally backfire, but you know what? It's the client's fault. He didn't pay for services that you provided. So screw him. He's...uhh...a little dumb.

This post has been edited by Locke: 07 July 2009 - 10:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:20 PM

While it is the clients fault, I would never ever bad mouth any of my clients publicly, because it's only going to drive away potential business. As well, this non-paying client will never ever ever (if they have any sense) go back to your companies hosting/development services. So congrats to your boss, he's shot off both feet.

Sure, the client didn't pay, & they get what they deserve, but any potential clients that see how non-paying clients get treated are only going to think the worst about dealing with this possible nightmare company, & not go anywhere near them.

Case in point, what if you called a friend who's phone had just been shut off. Rather than the regular message of "This number has been disconnected or is temporarily out of service" you got "We're AT&T & bitch needs to pay his mo-fuck'n phone bill!", what kind of an impression would you get about AT&T?

You never bad mouth customers... ever.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 7 Jul, 2009 - 11:20 PM, said:

You never bad mouth customers... ever.

Fair enough.