5 Replies - 8114 Views - Last Post: 28 July 2009 - 08:50 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Designing a packet filtering firewall for university project using c++

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

Hi . My name is vivek and i am new to this community just chanced upon it while browsing and i just hope you people can help me out.

For my final year project i want to design a packet filtering firewall with port monitoring, log records etc. Now i know just the bare essentials and i am willing to learn and create one. But the problem is i do not know where to start, what programming language to use, what books to refer, the difficulty level,what tools is needed and most of all whether this can be completed within 3 1/2 months or not. Can u guys please brief me up on these?

However upon searching the net i found out that we can use c++ to code these. but i would like to get a good idea on the functions to be used for packet filtering, ideas about the windows scripts to be used etc. and how does the whole thing run on win i mean the permissions and the cycle of events which files are to be looked in etc.

vivek

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Designing a packet filtering firewall for university project using c++

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Designing a packet filtering firewall for university project using c++

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

Have you coded before?
If you haven't then there is almost no way this project will be able to get completed in the time frame you want
No matter what kind of filtering you want to do you are going to have to have a pretty good grasp of the language and other libraries you might have to use
I'm no expert but I know that trying to learn a language doesn't go very fast unless you already know other languages then it makes it easier but yea...This I think is a perfect example of biting off more than you can chew. No offense
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:37 PM

View Posticehottopes, on 13 Jul, 2009 - 09:21 AM, said:

For my final year project i want to design a packet filtering firewall with port monitoring, log records etc. Now i know just the bare essentials and i am willing to learn and create one.

I wouldn't suggest that you don't start this project, but you really should use subject matter that you learned throughout the year for your final.

I also agree with mono15591 that a project of this size is too large for one person in the time frame you are working under.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:37 PM

What is this project for exactly?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:38 PM

View Posticehottopes, on 13 Jul, 2009 - 09:21 AM, said:

i would like to get a good idea on the functions to be used for packet filtering

Raw TCP/IP sockets. I would suggest this book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:50 AM

View Postmono15591, on 22 Jul, 2009 - 09:35 PM, said:

Have you coded before?
If you haven't then there is almost no way this project will be able to get completed in the time frame you want
No matter what kind of filtering you want to do you are going to have to have a pretty good grasp of the language and other libraries you might have to use
I'm no expert but I know that trying to learn a language doesn't go very fast unless you already know other languages then it makes it easier but yea...This I think is a perfect example of biting off more than you can chew. No offense

ummm.... i have coded before.. i have done projects before. and i have done socket programs in java before and i can program in cpp and c. its just that i havent done advanced programming in c and cpp. but i guess i can do the network programming in cpp because i know the basics to an extent. i m not a tyro in programming and i am nothing even remotely close to an advanced programmer but i m not too bad too. It's jus that i dont quite know where to look for the resources.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1