14 Replies - 1467 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2009 - 08:23 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My Website

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hello,

This is a little site I made because I make small applications for a game I used to play. My current web site is just a template on webs.com, but this one is fully made by me.

I don't have very much experience in web development, but I'm hoping you can all tell me how it is, and what needs work.

Right now its just a sub domain, once I get the website actually going I will get a domain name for it.

Thanks!
Wovaki

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My Website

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My Website

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

Sorry, it's pretty ugly. The red buttons dont go with the other elements of the page. The font for the main content is still Times New Roman. I would switch to arial.

You still need some content, it's just a shell right now. Keep it up! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:12 AM

I know I still need some more content.
Its going to be a small website, its mainly just a location for people to download my applications.
The main page will get more content as I have news to add to it.

What color would you suggest for the navigation buttons?

Sorry, I forgot to change the font for the content.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

Just an FYI the background flickers in safari 4.0... haven't tested in anything else. But it makes it very annoying to surf your site.

What it needs is a little photoshop. Some cool graphics/backgrounds/ gradients. First off I would change the background completely. Change it to maybe a black/dark blue gradient(just an idea) and that would only be alright if you changed the color of your nav buttons. Also I would change up the color of your header. The yellow just doesn't sit well with me.

Now for content... You are in Serious need of an about me page and a contact me page. This will get you a long way when people are trying to contact you about your software, etc. Also, if you are developing software and the website is just a site for your software then where is the support page? What if people have problems with your software? First thing they will do is go to your website and try and find support.

That should get you started for now :P

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:52 AM

The orange and red do not go together well at all! The background kind of makes you dizzy; try just solid black for now. Personaly, I do not like the orange, and would change the header to red. I do really like the red bottons though; of course you will want to change the orange to match. The "Official Homepage" at the top looks boring. And, it says "Official Homepage" on the other pages too. You also need some graphics and/or pictures on your site. That would make everything look pretty good I think! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

View Postmarkhazlett9, on 17 Aug, 2009 - 09:20 PM, said:

Just an FYI the background flickers in safari 4.0... haven't tested in anything else. But it makes it very annoying to surf your site.

What it needs is a little photoshop. Some cool graphics/backgrounds/ gradients. First off I would change the background completely. Change it to maybe a black/dark blue gradient(just an idea) and that would only be alright if you changed the color of your nav buttons. Also I would change up the color of your header. The yellow just doesn't sit well with me.

Now for content... You are in Serious need of an about me page and a contact me page. This will get you a long way when people are trying to contact you about your software, etc. Also, if you are developing software and the website is just a site for your software then where is the support page? What if people have problems with your software? First thing they will do is go to your website and try and find support.

That should get you started for now :P

Cheers

Hmm, I don't know why it would flicker. It doesn't in Firefox or IE6.
About the support page, the main websites for the game my software is for are forums, so support will be found on there. I tried having my own forums for just my software before, but people said to just use the game site's forums.

I will make a About me page, although people already contact me via my account on the game's forums.

The background doesn't really bother me, but it seems everyone else is bother by it. So for now I will set it to a solid black, and see where it goes from there.

Everybody seems to be having problems with the header and nav buttons as well. Could people suggest colors for them then?

tim4christ suggested just changing the header to red, I will try that and see what happens.

Thanks to everybody for the help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

I am assuming that you're new to web design. I suggest looking at free templates like the ones at http://www.oswd.org. Try and make something similar to those, or try to replicate them completely. It will help your web coding skills immensely. Also, try colourlovers.com. They have very nice, clean color combinations. Take a look at the things on your site and compare them to the top rated oswd ones. Note the things that are very different and the reasons their templates look better than yours.

Also, take a look at nettuts.org. They have great tutorials for web design and development.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

If that's the case and your support is found at your gaming site, then you need to have a link to that page. If I downloaded your software I would have no idea where to go for support. Also, I wouldn't want to be re-directed a bunch just to send you an email. Having more than one contact form never hurts :D

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

Besides some of the other things that have been mentioned, I would round out the buttons. The sharp corners doesn't go well with the header. That some small adjustments to the colors should get you a fairly good base for your design that you can gradually tweak.

kewlkreator, thats a little harsh. It's not an amazing design and could use work, but I think its a great start and I've seen much worse. ( Not naming any names but the OP should take a look at a certain commenter's own website before taking their post too personally. And of course I mean no offense to anyone.)

This post has been edited by syfran: 18 August 2009 - 11:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:33 PM

Yeah thats true. kewlkreator, thats really rude.

You need to either get rid of the glossy header, or make everything "web 2.0"-ish.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

I am new to developing web sites.
I wrote this in notepad with HTML and CSS, and I'm not very good at doing graphics work.

I'm also not "color coordinated" or whatever you want to call it, but I am doing this all my self so I'm doing the best I can.

I tried rounding the navigation links, but I don't really like the look of it.

About the header, well I put that there because its the same type of header that's going to be on future versions of my software releases.

This post has been edited by Wovaki: 19 August 2009 - 11:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

View PostWovaki, on 19 Aug, 2009 - 10:20 AM, said:

I am new to developing web sites.
I wrote this in notepad with HTML and CSS, and I'm not very good at doing graphics work.

I'm also not "color coordinated" or whatever you want to call it, but I am doing this all my self so I'm doing the best I can.

I tried rounding the navigation links, but I don't really like the look of it.

About the header, well I put that there because its the same type of header that's going to be on future versions of my software releases.

And it's good to hear you're trying to get into a new field. I recently got into focusing on web design. It's a very hard area. It's all about experimenting with different colors and styles until you find one you like. This may help you out...

http://kuler.adobe.com/

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

Thanks

I will take a look at it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

View Postfirebolt, on 18 Aug, 2009 - 09:33 PM, said:

Yeah thats true. kewlkreator, thats really rude.

You need to either get rid of the glossy header, or make everything "web 2.0"-ish.

Yea. Sorta came out bad. It's hard to express emotions over the net. Sorry wovaki, didn't mean it harshly. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:23 AM

View Postkewlkreator, on 24 Aug, 2009 - 06:15 PM, said:

Yea. Sorta came out bad. It's hard to express emotions over the net. Sorry wovaki, didn't mean it harshly. :(

That's OK, I want as many opinions as possible to make it better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1