3 Replies - 7241 Views - Last Post: 28 August 2009 - 02:32 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

SQL interpreter to create mock database

Post icon  Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

Hi Coders,
as a newbie in a database world, I would like to know if a standalone SQL interpreter software to create a mock database exists? By a mock database means that it shows the schema and its details but cannot be used or filled with values, but it can be modified, queried, and deleted.

Best regards,
ethereal1m

This post has been edited by ethereal1m: 21 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: SQL interpreter to create mock database

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: SQL interpreter to create mock database

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:46 AM

I can't say for sure if this exists or not, but there seems to be problems in how you decribe it. For instance, if you can't fill it with values, what would be queried then? If you just mean create an empty database with a schema and stuff, sure. You can do this on any database with an SQL script and even standalone modeling software could build these databases.

I guess you will have to describe the situation a little better to know what exactly you are looking to do. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

Hi Martyr2,
Good point! I was contradicting myself with my question. I'm practicing sql in oracle sql developer and oracle XE environment. It's good except my laptop has a scarce resource thus running oracle database is little bit slow on it. So, I'm looking an alternative small scale, stripped down SQL interpreter that makes my practicing simpler and easier. Any suggestion?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

Hello ethereal1m,

You may want to look at SQLite for a lightweight SQL-Interpreter.

Unlike Mysql or Oracle it is "serverless". This has big disadvantages with lots of connections, but might be fine for your "just fooling around on my laptop" enviroment, where you are the only customer.

disclaimer: bear in mind, that if you learn your Oracle with an other SQL-Interpreter ... SQL dialects slightly differ ...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1