the best technology for this project

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1595 Views - Last Post: 02 September 2009 - 01:23 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

suggestions for project

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:05 AM

I had an idea to create an online music player for my final year project, where people will be able to upload their tracks, create a playlist and play them from the website. But one of the problems is that I only found java code to create a media player applet, and I have no idea how to make a media player to save the tracks uploaded by the user as a playlist, let alone how to save them into a database.

I know java up to intermediate level, as well as basic PHP / MySQL and VB. I found some examples how to make a media player using a java library, but I just don't know how to save it into a playlist.

I have thought of doing it in another language, maybe python, but I'm not sure what to work on, since I'm not too confident of my coding skill.

And I have done some research, and some of the technologies that are commonly offered include Java FX, Adobe Air, and MS Silverlight. I am considering between either Java or Silverlight, but I'm still unsure which one is best for my project.

Which one do you guys think is best for my project? I want something that I can pick up and learn quickly, and something which can run on any browser.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: suggestions for project

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: suggestions for project

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:09 AM

Java should work fine. If you already know a bunch of it I'd stick with it.

For the database

View Postsyfran, on 1 Sep, 2009 - 11:51 PM, said:

If its a web server then it should already have mysql.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:18 AM

Yeah, I had planned it to work as a web server, where the tracks uploaded by the user will be stored into it, and the user can then access them from the player at the website's page, and a professor has suggested that I use Java fully for my project, down to using it to connect to MySQL.

The reason why I ask is that I was reading a computer mag, and it did tell a bit about Silverlight, which I thought was pretty cool, but thanks for the suggestion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:23 AM

Never touched silverlight. I try to avoid microsoft like the plague.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1