Reccomended PA colleges?

Time to start looking at schools.

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 1081 Views - Last Post: 22 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Reccomended PA colleges?

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:46 PM

I have a quick question on a few colleges since its getting to be that time where I start looking.
Do any of the following schools have good Comp Sci programs:

Also if there are any other colleges that have good Comp Sci programs in or around Pennsylvania that I should have a look at let me know :)

Penn State
Millersvile
Temple
Elizabethtown
VA Tech
Pitt
York College

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Reccomended PA colleges?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Reccomended PA colleges?

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

Anyone?

Also what about Lock Haven Uni

This post has been edited by DmS1ckwit1t: 16 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:49 PM

I thought that East Stroudsburg was nice, but I only went there for a semester (long story). My girl is in her last year at Millersville and it's not bad. I liked ESU because they had a "Computer Security" major, thought it would differentiate me a bit from the pack, I don't know as I never finished ;p

FWIW, I'm at bucks.edu right now, and iirc it's the #1 community college in PA. Half the profs that I've had also work at schools like Drexel, so I think the education you receive is just as good as any other school in the area.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

I am currently attending Mansfield University. The comp sci department here is pretty amazing(if I do say so myself).

It is also fairly inexpensive by comparison, and you get a more one-on-one experience with smaller class sizes.

Just a thought
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

Is that VA Tech for Virginia Tech? I didn't think that was in Pennsylvania ;) I go there now - great CS school (actually, it's better known for architecture, and all of its programs are pretty good). However, they have an identity crises in CS right now - the curriculum is kind of jumbled if you're in my year.

What about Carnegie Mellon?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

MIT is always a good choice for anyone looking to study Information Technology.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:05 AM

I'm probably going to attend Drexel's online Software Engineering school, as the school is located in PA, the brick and mortar school is an option for you. They've been around a long time... my friend's dad graduated from the School of Engineering (Same school I will graduate from) in the 1970's and has great success in the engineering field, Drexel has a great reputation there.

http://www.drexel.edu/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:50 AM

I'm currently doing BSIS/MSSE at Drexel and my recommendation would be for you to look into their Computer Science program. Their faculty(C.S. and Engineering Dept) for the most part are knowledgeable and willing to help you.
Obviously, you are going to run into some crappy professors but overall the Computer Science is pretty good at Drexel. Not to mention that you will have the opportunity to do co-ops at Drexel and have the opportunity to get a Bachelors and Masters within 5 years. (I am currently doing MSSE which consists of Drexel's Computer Science Master classes and I highly recommend the program to anyone interested).
The only thing I would warn you against is that at Drexel you are pretty much in school all year round (that or you are co-oping..) which means you dont have summers off and very short breaks!! and believe me you will start missing those summers off because you hardly get any breaks at Drexel and the breaks you get are usually during the time when all of your other friends from other schools are in classes. (School Stress + Short Time to recuperate between terms can psychologically affect you)
In addition, Drexel requires you to learn on your own. Alot of professors will teach off of powerpoint slides and you will not learn much from sitting in class. So, you will need to have the drive to learn independently. Its a sad truth, but something I am forewarning you if you intend to come to Drexel.

Regardless of all of that I would still recommend their Computer Science and Software Engineering majors (Actually anything from Drexel's Engineering is a good choice, any other major I would steer away from including Business)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

Carnegie Mellon is generally considered to be one of the finest computer science schools in the world and is probably second most important in terms of its research contributions to computer science over the last forty years. It has slipped a bit in the rankings to fourth, but it's usually (and still is) neck and neck with MIT and Stanford. CMU is in Pittsburgh, PA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

GujuNilesh, That's cool you go there already, I've been looking into the program for a bit! Although I won't qualify for the CS program because the school I ended up attending doesn't have a CS program, and there were not any available in my area, in the area of software engineering, at the time I started :(. It's okay though, because I looked into the IST program, and it has the courses I would be interested in, and it is still considered MSSE :).

Maybe I'll see you in a few of my courses when I attend there, when do you graduate from your undergrad degree? I should finish my program late 10' or mid 11', depending on my course choices.

I agree with you completely about the classes though, my current program is the same way and it is tough.

This post has been edited by W3bDev: 22 November 2009 - 10:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1