• (2 Pages)
  • +

27 Replies - 5195 Views - Last Post: 23 October 2005 - 10:48 AM

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Where's Marko ?

Posted 16 October 2005 - 06:48 PM

It's likely no one has noticed my absence yet because I've only been gone for a day, but you may see it more in the coming week, here's why…

Some of you may know I have been "Borrowing" my neighbor's (car dealership next to my house) open access point as my primary means of internet. Well.. I come home from work yesterday to find that my neighbor has decided to get some smarts and encrypt his network with not just basic WEP encryption, but 128 bit WPA encryption. One of my special areas of knowledge is network security and I knew right away I was screwed.

Some people have asked why I would depend on something like this; why not get a high speed connection of my own?

I live in a small town in northern MN; there is no conventional high speed solutions out here. In fact the only internet options I have are DirecWay satellite, and a local company called Genesis Wireless.

Genesis is a WIFI hybrid based ISP, they put up non line of sight towers around the town and using their modified WIFI hardware you’re able to connect to their network. The problem with Genesis Wireless is that their prices are horrible and their uptime is even worse. I know this first hand because the neighbor has them. So choice number 1 is Genesis, they want 149.00 down for install and 50 a month for 200 kbps down 56 kbps up speeds.

DirecWay is faster but more money. If you get a good install they can be somewhat reliable.. I think. Their speeds are more like 500kbps down and 56 kbps up, they have a weird Fair Access Policy so if you try to download more then 200 MB at a time, they will cut you off for a few hours. Also with the satellite latency you can’t play online games. DirecWay wants $ 100.00 down and $ 100.00 a month and you get tied into a 2 year contract.. So that’s option number 2..

So… What do you guys think ?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where's Marko ?

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where's Marko ?

Posted 16 October 2005 - 06:57 PM

smack that bitch up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:12 PM

Damn, that's pricey...maybe go for the cheaper option...or get the neighbor drunk and get his encryption key :)

DIC without Marko ain't...well...DIC!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Touched by his noodly appendage

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2005 - 03:50 AM

holy cripes. $100/mo for 500kb down?

i(my parents)'m paying $40/mo for what settles at a solid 1mpbs, and on good servers/good connections, i can get 2.

but given your options, i'd probably go with the guys who are cheaper and dont want a contract... in my experiences, contracts are the devil, and there is always a good reason they want you to be on one (they suck and you'll realise it after the first month).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• still.dreaming
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:00 AM

Have a chat with the dealer. Maybe he'll give you the key. If not offer to split the costs or something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Got Bug?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:10 AM

Suckage man, try getting him/her drunk first like Amadeus said. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:34 AM

Talk to your neighbor, pay half of his bill, and continue to ride off of his network... it's be cheaper, that's for sure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:36 AM

There is another Sattelite Inet company that is a little cheaper then directway however the equip is $300 Installation is $176 and Pricing is
49.99 for 512k down 69.95 for 1.0Mb down 79.99 for 1.5 down www.wildblue.com

Yep and sat is laggy as hell and good luck trying to VPN tunnel or play games. or so I have read

Cingular has a cellular service for 79.99 a month with no pc card cost

But unfortunately it is only 140k down with 40k up that is dual band ISDN range.

Hey what about a ISDN line 128k bidirectional isnt bad but it gets pricy.

both options that you are looking at will drop in the rain however.
the fixed base wireless and the satdish ( sat may drop during overcast sky)

And just remember a open wireless network may be there for the use of the general public (like mine) however once they encrypt the signal and try to keep the general population out. Breaking in to the network is considered hacking and the secret service will haul your ass to jail.

And im gonna move this over to networking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I liek milk!!1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:57 AM

Kanichton, on Oct 17 2005, 10:31 AM, said:

Talk to your neighbor, pay half of his bill, and continue to ride off of his network... it's be cheaper, that's for sure.

I was just going to suggest that. ha
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:30 AM

Run 30 miles of cat5e down the highway
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THIS IS SPARTAAA
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

I have to agree with everyone else. Ask to split the cost. Actually, first ask if you can pay 25% of the fee's he charges to use his internet. He may look at it like a bargain because it won't effect him. If he declines, offer half. If he still declines, he's got issues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• flip ya. flip ya for real.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:01 PM

ninja infiltration time.

dic nin squad ASSEMBLE!

or split the costs, the other options are way douche.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:13 PM

I kind of enjoy the irony of all these solutions but him not being able to see them due the lack of internet. ahahahha i'm such a bastard :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:04 AM

Alright so I'm at my grandmas and I thought I would hop on quick..

Heres some updates and a little feedback so some of your suggestions, I kinda scanned thorugh them quick...

First off I talked to the car dealership, I tryed not to give away any information to make him think I was in fact the person that was using his network, ( which im pretty sure is why he secured his network in the first place ) I just said that I noticed he had Genesis antenna on his building, and that he had a secured AP, and that I'm new the the neighborhood and would be interested in buying some internet from him. It didnt work, he went on about how his internet is crappy as it is and he didnt want the extra hassle etc etc. I dont see that being an option.

As far as ISDN goes, I called Qwest to doublecheck the status of DSL in Rush City, they said they dont have any plans to wire a CO for residential or small business in the next year, I asked about ISDN, they nolonger accept new ISDN accounts, Qwest is the only phone company in the area, so as far as phone based internet goes, its eather 28.8 dial up ( old house, old lines ) or nothing.

Cable ! I called the local cable company, they actually dont even offer cable internet nor do they have plans on offering it anytime in the next 100 years, they dont even have Digital Cable services let alone anything as advanced as high speed internet access, so as far as television goes its eather Satellite ( I have Dish Network myself ) or nothing.

Also in responce to Wild Blue, I have checked into them, first off I dont really have $ 400.00 to blow on a down payment, also their a very new company and installers are hard to come by, there is one installer in my area but they say they install for business only.

I thank everyone for all of their suggestions, I'm glad you guys are thinking of other solutions... I know I'm running out of ideas.

I think we're back to my orginal choices, Genesis Wireless or Direcway..

I checked into the DirecWay a little more, their down speeds are actually now closer to 700K down and 128K up optimal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:22 AM

Oh, also.. Direcway is actually only around $ 50.00 a month, the reason it's 99 is becuase your paying for the equipment cost for the first 15 months, after that its reasonable. The problem is you HAVE to buy the equipment, you cant rent it, and you cant sell it back to them after your done, so I would be stuck with a $ 600.00 dish. Also they will not install a used dish, even know there's used DirecWay systems listed on Ebay, DirecWay wont touch them.

After reading some of the horror stories about DirecWay and their service, I think I'm going to order Genesis, I talked with them yesterday and they wont be able to install 'till late next week..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +