10 Replies - 1739 Views - Last Post: 21 August 2001 - 01:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Building Shell for new site. Tell me what you think so far.

Posted 14 August 2001 - 10:04 PM

www.campingjoe.com

It's just a homepage. None of the links work yet and the copy is just filler text. Plus, my netscape is screwed up so I don't even know if it works in netscape.

Tell me what you think so far.  

(Edited by re ac tion ary at 3:06 pm on Aug. 21, 2001)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Building Shell for new site. Tell me what you think so far.

• w3c fanatic

• View blog

Re: Building Shell for new site. Tell me what you think so far.

Posted 14 August 2001 - 10:22 PM

Well...to start off you stole the image for the header of all of the Dream in Code tables.  Also make sure that when you get the links working on the left that they rollover.  Get rid of the little orange squares on the right, they're distracting and stupid.  Get some more content on the right-hand side.
---------------
And now for the compliments...
The look is good because it focuses on some of the extreme outdoor sports like rock-climbing, be sure to get some stock photography of kiacking, some bungie or base-jumping too.  Over all it's pretty good.  But on the very bottom the blue link that doesn't rollover doesn't match the green.  Fix that with a CSS file.  I'll be posting some CSS tutorials if you don't know CSS.  Don't let me bring you down, just giving some constructive criticism. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2001 - 08:52 AM

I think its great, that grid on top, how did you do that?

You should make the main image (the one with the mountain climbers) fade to a color, not stretch it. Now it looks kinda itchy.

Furthermore I should edit the color of the bar waaay down low to the orange color you use everywhere.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2001 - 08:57 AM

Quote: from codeman on 12:22 am on Aug. 15, 2001
Well...to start off you stole the image for the header of all of the Dream in Code tables.  Also make sure that when you get the links working on the left that they rollover.

(I didn't mean for them to look so similar. The shade of orange just turned out that way and I've beveled my headers on designs like that way before I ever saw dreamingincode. You didn't have to use the word stolen because it wasn't intentional.)

Get rid of the little orange squares on the right, they're distracting and stupid.
(Yeah, they are stupid. They didn't look so bad in the photoshop file but the design changed a little when I started coding it)

Get some more content on the right-hand side. (There is going to be a tone of content all over the place when I'm done with it ;)

---------------

The look is good because it focuses on some of the extreme outdoor sports like rock-climbing, be sure to get some stock photography of kiacking, some bungie or base-jumping too.  

There won't be any stock photography on this site. I Kayak, Mt. Bike, Scuba Dive, Backpack, Canoe, Raft, and go camping on a regular basis and have a lot of friends that do so as well. We have nice camera equipment and we're going to use it :).

Thanks for the commments!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2001 - 09:02 AM

Quote: from Everest on 10:52 am on Aug. 15, 2001
I think its great, that grid on top, how did you do that?

Thanks!

The grid on the top is actually pretty quick and easy. I came up with that on another site I did by accident so I use it all the time now.  Just build a grid in photoshop with 1px wide lines and space them about 5 or 6 pixles apart. Then when you have a huge grid, shrink it down. Then to do the fading just use a mask and a fuzzy brush and color out the areas you want faded.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Check, check, 1, 2.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2001 - 10:05 AM

Overall pretty good, I have a few tips here and there.  1.  The colors.  They are trendy and look nice and everything, but. . . do they really go with camping and kayaking and everything?  No. They don't, what about using earth tones?  Blues, Greens, Yellow, Tans. Come on man, I live in Colorado and I"m looking out the window right now and I don't see any Greys or Oranges.  
2.  I really like the Pictograms (the little signs) you have, you know for like fishing and camping and everything, but couldn't you use those better? Right now they make the top of a cell, but couldn't you use them on your buttons?  That way the user has an easier time.

That's all I can think, of overall a good start, but needs a little work here an there.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2001 - 03:16 PM

And just a quick comment, "Untitled" you can at least get a title even if you dont have any content.
Like said about, not sure about the colours, camping-orange???
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2001 - 06:20 PM

it stinks , scratch it and go back 2 the drawing board. :) haha. reactionary, u showed me the pic b 4 but it looks quite a bit better w/ only a little text in , cant wait till it loads up . i like it a lot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• w3c fanatic

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2001 - 07:14 PM

Well, actually the vibe that I get off of the site is extreme outdoors.  You know Mountain Biking, Kayaking over waterfalls, whitewater rafting, rock climbing.  I think that the orange goes well with that topic.  Now if the site was for the Schmoe family vacation in Yosemite then the regular greens and well, dull colors would apply.  But it's extreme.  I agree with the colors, except for the puke green, what's with that?  Try a darker green it'll look better.  :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2001 - 01:03 PM

Thanks guys for the comments! Hopefully I'll be able to keep goin with it after school starts back tomorrow.

I have it posted at www.campingjoe.com now. It's got a good bit more than the link I originally posted here. I'm not linked from anywhere and not getting much traffic so I think I'm just going to keep building the site at its url.

(Edited by re ac tion ary at 3:05 pm on Aug. 21, 2001)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2001 - 01:43 PM

quite a site you got set up there I really like the color's
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1