2 Replies - 3767 Views - Last Post: 20 December 2010 - 07:26 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

ASP.NET WebForms or ASP.NET MVC

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

Hi,

I am going to develop a new web application with asp.net 3.5, ajax, jquery and c# with oracle 10g as backend. This web application will have some asp.net panel controls whose border color will change based on some triggers from the database so that user can understand that a state of an item displaying within the panel is changed.

Basically, it will be atleast a 3-tier architechture and I will have no control over the BL and DAL developed with c#. At max I can add some new class or interface to implement the new features required for my web application. Because the same BL and DAL will be used for some other projects.

I've worked with the similar scenario where we have used ASP.NET forms and code-behind feature. But I'm wondering if I can use ASP.NET MVC application framework.

It would be helpful if I get some suggestions for should I use ASP.NET MVC Framework or should I stick to ASP.NET Webforms under this scenario and necessary advantages and disadvantages details.

Thanks in Advance,

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ASP.NET WebForms or ASP.NET MVC

• R.I.P. ( Really Intelligent Person, right? )
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ASP.NET WebForms or ASP.NET MVC

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:26 AM

The choice between ASP.NET MVC and ASP.NET WebForms is a matter of preference and resources. In my opinion, development using WebForms is faster, since it has better editor support in Visual Studio when it comes to GUI-design ( drag and drop etc. ). However, also in my opinion, projects developed using MVC gets a much better structure and is also easier to unit test and hence, is easier to maintain in the long run. There's more than enough debates on the web about this subject. Simply google "ASP.NET MVC vs ASP.NET WebForms" and you will become overwhelmed by the information you receive.

If you are not familiar with one of the two and the project is small and not supposed to last for ever, I would suggest you to stick to what you know. Otherwise play around with the other one a get a feel for what advantages/disadvantages it gives you, and then decide!

Hope it helps! (:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ASP.NET WebForms or ASP.NET MVC

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:26 AM

This right here:

Basically, it will be atleast a 3-tier architechture and I will have no control over the BL and DAL developed with c#. At max I can add some new class or interface to implement the new features required for my web application. Because the same BL and DAL will be used for some other projects.

Makes me want to scream and shout that if you use MVC you'll life will become simpler and you can learn a lot on the way.

Create an interface, and code your part against that. Have the other team members (the ones working on the BL/DAL) code against the interface as well.

Check out the sticky in this subforum and read about MVC here: http://www.asp.net/mvc

Ultimately, decide if you have the time/willingness to learn something new, or just want to Get It Done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1