• +

26 Replies - 1526 Views - Last Post: 12 October 2009 - 07:14 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

IRC lulz

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

http://gist.github.com/207715

I almost shot myself. I cannot explain things to people who don't understand things easily. If I had been talking to this person in real life, I would not have been able to refrain from slapping his face off.

As you can see, even at the end, he still has no idea what he is talking about. Makes me want to cry.

:ph34r:

Anyone else have any comical experiences trying to explain things to people who find them unfathomable?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: IRC lulz

• you can't fix stupid.

• View blog

Re: IRC lulz

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:33 AM

tl;dr please?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

View Postgawdlike, on 11 Oct, 2009 - 02:33 PM, said:

tl;dr please?
That was boring. :/

This post has been edited by gabehabe: 11 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:41 AM

Yes. It wasn't a lulz. I skimmed through it and wanted to stab myself in the face.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:52 AM

I never promised it was funny. The whole situation is funny. Guy asks questions that he doesn't know enough about to even understand the answers, and proceeds to continue asking even stupider questions which lead to stupider questions and eventually lead to frustration among those trying to explain things to him.

And I did mention I almost shot myself.

This post has been edited by Raynes: 11 October 2009 - 09:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• a * a = (b * b) + (c * c) - 2(b)(c)cos(A)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:35 AM

tl;dr, just like everything you tell me <3
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:41 AM

What's so stupid about wondering whether a Ruby interpreter uses C as an intermediate form? It's a pretty legit question. If there was anything stupid about that conversation it would be you implying that no interpreters compile their code before executing it. That's just retarded.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

Describing complex topics to those who are not experienced (or even interested in) is an art. An art I have been working on for years and still don't always get right. This stuff happens regularly in life and it seems the more you know and the more complex things you learn, the harder it can be to explain sometimes. I find the use of analogies very effective as a tool for explaining things. Relate the complex concept to everyday activities and the people usually get it.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

like wrestling ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

Congrats sir, that is epic! :D

Edit: See how I got that? I completely understood!

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 11 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:45 AM

The only thing lulz about IRC is the fact that 89% of the time the people answering the questions don't know what they're talking about either.

As an aside, AFAIK, the interpreter is C and uses single pass through interpretation.

This post has been edited by ccubed: 11 October 2009 - 10:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:58 AM

View PostNeumann, on 11 Oct, 2009 - 08:41 AM, said:

What's so stupid about wondering whether a Ruby interpreter uses C as an intermediate form? It's a pretty legit question. If there was anything stupid about that conversation it would be you implying that no interpreters compile their code before executing it. That's just retarded.

I never said his original question was stupid. He was all around stupid to begin with, considering the information he asked could have been found with a quick Google search or a look up on Wikipedia. He didn't understand what anyone was really talking about, even in the end.

And, there is a reason that interpreters are called interpreters and not compilers. Ruby is not a compiled language. I was talking about Ruby, not all interpreters in general. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, and I'm not going to claim I know the exact inner workings of compilers and interpreters, but I don't need your smartass remarks either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

View PostRaynes, on 11 Oct, 2009 - 09:58 AM, said:

And, there is a reason that interpreters are called interpreters and not compilers.

Yes there is. I suggest you look that reason up.

Ruby is not a compiled language. I was talking about Ruby, not all interpreters in general.

Again, I suggest you look up what interpreters are. That sentence makes absolutely no sense. You can't just "talk about Ruby" when you are discussing interpreters. In that case you are discussing specific implementations of Ruby. Here's something you did not know:

Official interpreter for Ruby 1.9 is YARV. It uses bytecode.
JRuby uses Java.
IronRuby uses .NET
MagLev uses bytecode.
XRuby uses Java.

View Postccubed, on 11 Oct, 2009 - 09:45 AM, said:

The only thing lulz about IRC is the fact that 89% of the time the people answering the questions don't know what they're talking about either.

Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

View PostNeumann, on 11 Oct, 2009 - 10:19 AM, said:

View PostRaynes, on 11 Oct, 2009 - 09:58 AM, said:

And, there is a reason that interpreters are called interpreters and not compilers.

Yes there is. I suggest you look that reason up.

Ruby is not a compiled language. I was talking about Ruby, not all interpreters in general.

Again, I suggest you look up what interpreters are. That sentence makes absolutely no sense. You can't just "talk about Ruby" when you are discussing interpreters. In that case you are discussing specific implementations of Ruby. Here's something you did not know:

Official interpreter for Ruby 1.9 is YARV. It uses bytecode.
JRuby uses Java.
IronRuby uses .NET
MagLev uses bytecode.
XRuby uses Java.

View Postccubed, on 11 Oct, 2009 - 09:45 AM, said:

I knew everything you just told me except for the fact that the Ruby 1.9 interpreter uses bytecode. I didn't know that. Thank you, and I stand corrected.

If you want to correct somebody, I suggest you correct them by showing them they are wrong, and showing them what I right. I, and nobody else on these forums needs your attitude, and frankly, I'm beginning to tire of it.

As a side note, I think the problem here is a misunderstanding of the difference between 'interpreter' and 'bytecode interpreter'.

This post has been edited by Raynes: 11 October 2009 - 11:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

View PostRaynes, on 11 Oct, 2009 - 10:26 AM, said:

If you want to correct somebody, I suggest you correct them by showing them they are wrong, and showing them what I right. I, and nobody else on these forums needs your attitude, and frankly, I'm beginning to tire of it.

View PostRaynes, on 11 Oct, 2009 - 07:02 AM, said:

I almost shot myself. I cannot explain things to people who don't understand things easily. If I had been talking to this person in real life, I would not have been able to refrain from slapping his face off.

As you can see, even at the end, he still has no idea what he is talking about. Makes me want to cry.

Anyone else have any comical experiences trying to explain things to people who find them unfathomable?

Was This Post Helpful? 0

• (2 Pages)
  • +