Checking for .Net framework

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 861 Views - Last Post: 16 October 2009 - 12:26 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Conditional Site Loading

Post icon  Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:36 AM

This is meant to be in the ASP.Net forum, before someone tries to move this to the client development forum.

Not quite sure what hoops i will need to go through but wondering if it is possible to check to see what version of the .Net Framework is installed. To this end, i am looking at a conditional viewing of a website. Very similar to changing the format, through CSS, for different browsers.

Once i get it checked, i would like to be able to offer them an opportunity for a richer experience by installing the appropriate framework, or goto a diminished site for the appropriate framework installed on their machine.

Again, i do not know if this is possible but figured i would ask.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Conditional Site Loading

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Conditional Site Loading

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

You can check if the client has javascript enabled, and if so, check the useragent. I don't know how reliable this is because there have been times where I'd edit my useragent, but .NET automatically appends version information to the useragent. This is also a common way to determine what browser the client is using. Try running "java script:alert(navigator.userAgent)" in the address bar of your Internet Explorer window and you should see what I'm talking about as long as you have the .NET Framework installed.

Edit: I fixed the javascript command.

Edit again: it keeps putting a space in between "java" and "script", but it should be one word.

This post has been edited by masteryee: 16 October 2009 - 08:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Conditional Site Loading

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

so basically i need to parse out the browser information like i would if i was doing different css loads for different browsers. Except i need to pull out the different .Net frameworks available.

Wonder how this works for Mac's?

Ill look at my Blogs log, and see the different types of browser information to see how complicated this can become and the format of the browser return information.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1