2 Replies - 2610 Views - Last Post: 19 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What language should I learn if i have to focus OPP?

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

:^: Hi everyone, I just wanna an advice; first, I have to say that the english is a new language for me, so I expect You understand me.
Two years ago I decided learn a bit of visual basic .net, but I dont focus so adecuate the opp concepts, I just look about the beautiful interfaces and the most basic data structures.
Recently I started to learn c++.
The simply question is ... ¿What language is the best to learn opp concepts?
c# ? vb.net? c++? other? ... I found so bored c++ and opp; but if you say that it's the better option so I do it.
by the way,I wanna be software engineer, so I expect you going to say me the best option, no matter what level of dificulty the language has.

thanks ;) :ph34r:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What language should I learn if i have to focus OPP?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What language should I learn if i have to focus OPP?

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

Java is a very strong Object Oriented Programming language, and it has a syntax influenced by C++, so you should be able to pick it up easily.

C++ is a good choice for OOP as well, but because it also allows for functional programming it is not the best choice. I think C# is similar to C++ and Java, and is heavily OOP oriented, but I'm not entirely sure.

I would advise against languages in the VB family though.

It's up to you in the end, but if what your focusing on is just OOP, then I'd suggest go for Java.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What language should I learn if i have to focus OPP?

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

LOL, what erik said, almost exactly.

I like Java as both a beginner language and an OOP language.

I don't like C++ for a beginner language, for a number of reasons. It's foundation is procedural and likely to cause hair loss.

VB syntax is unique to VB, never meant for OOP, and basically sucks.

In some respects I like C# better than Java. C# is Java with five years of hindsight to work from and it shows. Microsoft's Visual Dev series is also hard to beat.

Python is fun, but is only passingly OOP. OOP in PHP is even more painful. Ruby says it's all OOP, but it's often arcane in its usage.

I'd go with Java or C#.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1