6 Replies - 34256 Views - Last Post: 15 January 2010 - 10:56 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to run Turbo c on vista64 bit or Windows 7

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

how to run turbo c on vista 64 bit .
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to run Turbo c on vista64 bit or Windows 7

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to run Turbo c on vista64 bit or Windows 7

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:53 AM

Turbo C/C++

64 Bit operating systems like Windows Xp64, Windows Vista64, and Window 7 will no longer run 16 bit applications and this includes Turbo C 2.01/Turbo C++ 3.0/3.1 or the programs they produce.
Turbo C 2.0 was first released in 1989, Turbo C++ 3.1 in 1991 making these programs nearly two decades old. They are just too old to run on modern PCs.

Emulation
The easiest way to get Turbo C/C++ to run is using DOSBOX which emulates the environment of an old 16bit MsDOS computer. This works very well and will allow you to run most programs (even CGA/VGA/SVGA graphics).
If you wish to run Turbo C on Linux there is DOSEMU.

Virtualization
Another option is to run the programs on a Virtual Machine. Think of this as running a virtual computer on your computer. The VM emulates a PC and you can load an OS like an old copy of windows (if you have old disks laying about) or you can use FreeDOS as an OS.

VirtualBox is an open source cross platform VM.
VMWare is a proprietary VM but I believe they have a free version that will work fine for these purposes.

If you are on Windows 7 (possibly Vista) there is another option:
Microsoft Virtual PC[1]. For this one you will not need FreeDOS as it will run your programs as though they were running on WindowsXP

Upgrade To Modern Compiler

Note that Turbo C/C++ is very very very very old and produces 16 bit programs which no long run on many modern computers. So the best advice is to upgrade to a new compiler. There are many free compilers out there that you can use.

Free Compilers:
  • Microsoft Express 2008 -- Great compiler and comes with a nice IDE (Visual Studio)
  • MinGW -- Command line compiler but there are many IDEs that use it such as Code::Blocks, Eclipse, Dev-C++
  • Borland C++ 5.5 -- Will compile Turbo C++ programs (including graphics.h) but produces 32bit code (slightly better than Turbo C) Only includes command line tools.
  • DigitalMars -- Its still old but at least it produces 32bit programs (better than Turbo C). You might stumble across D++ which is a very powerful language derivative of C++.
  • OpenWacom -- Again, nearly as old as Turbo C, but it produces more modern 32bit applications! (this project is still active too).
If you are just working with C there is:
  • Pelles -- and excellent modern C compiler and IDE. Pelles also has the new TR1 libraries available so you can use regex and other new features. As well as support for many older libraries.
  • LCC-Win32 -- Used as the basis for many of the research compilers.
  • Tiny C -- is said to produce very fast programs.
All of the above are Free and all excellent replacements for Turbo C which is so old it will not even run on your computer.

If your School uses Turbo C then I suggest encouraging your school to update the curriculum since Turbo C is about 20 years old! By using Turbo C/C++ you will learn many things that are no long true and will waste a great amount of time and have many frustrations (such as not even being able to run the programs you produce).

Since my first compiler was Turbo C++ 3.1, I have a great affection for it. I use Borland 5.5 as my main compiler. But there is a reality to face here: We no longer live in the age of 16bit programs and VGA graphics. Don't waste your time learning about out dated technologies and non-standard languages. The C and C++ languages have moved on! Both languages have been updated since the release of Turbo C/C++ and so it can be very difficult to find information on the old syntax and usages popular in the days of Turbo C/C++.

Turbo C/C++ == Confusion and frustration and is mostly a waste of your time.

[1] Thanks to thephenom from the post above which is a blog about how to get running with MS Virtual PC.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

Added to FAQ
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:29 AM

I cleaned this thread up a bit. Removed some of the less helpful posts. Great info Nick!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:34 AM

Perhaps this should be stickied as well?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:38 AM

I would but there are a ton of stickies in C++ already. Having it in the FAQ should be good enough and it should turn up in searches
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:56 AM

I think the FAQ should be enough -- its easy enough for those of us in the know to find. We already have too many pinned topics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1