9 Replies - 927 Views - Last Post: 24 November 2009 - 06:00 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where to go from here?

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but wasn't sure where else to post it. I'm very new to C# and software development as a whole, and have a read a few beginner tutorials. But now i really don't know where to go from here. Everywhere i search all i can find is either very complex tutorials on advanced stuff which is way out of my reach, or too simple stuff which I've already read in previous tutorials.

Whenever i open VS, i never know what to do. I try to create stuff which would allow me to practice a lot of techniques, but again, I'm not even sure where to start. For example, the tutorial i read on Objects only covered it briefly, and didn't explain in what situations i would need to write an object, and did not go in-depth on what code actually goes into an object.
Pretty much everything I'm not sure where i would apply it into an application I'm writing myself, and this is really getting me frustrated.

Is there any REALLY GOOD resource out there for beginners? Which would explain things in detail, as well as giving GOOD examples of where and when they should be used? Or any detailed tutorials on creating applications which explain everything thats going on?

And another thing thats got me pretty confused. I see in a few tutorials I've looked at that people write their code in different areas, like some will write it in the .cs file while others in the VS IDE, whats the difference?

Sorry for boring you all, but I've seen how helpful this community is and I'm hoping I'll get some very helpful replies.

Thank you to everyone who gives their 2 cents.

This post has been edited by c#ris: 23 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where to go from here?

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Where to go from here?

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:15 PM

First off, source code is text. Period. It doesn't matter if you write it in notepad, vi, emacs, or fancy IDEs like sharp develop and Visual Studios.

With that out of the way, think of something cool you want to do.

Do you like games? Get into XNA.

Do you want to do business-y apps? Get into databases and download some open source programs that do database access so you can learn the grit of it.

Do you want to make things that you want to make? Identify your goals and then plan to spend the next few months making it happen (Don't shoot too high at first).

Read about OOP in general. It doesn't have to be specifically geared toward C#. Just learn the ideas behind it.

Read about design patterns. They bring out the true nature of OOP.

Finally, read other peoples' code and attempt to help with it. When you help, code a proof of concept on it so you know it works and then provide help to someone. Reading others' code is an acquired skill so get some practice.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Oh, one final thought - this isn't a race. Learn at a pace that's comfortable for you. Eventually, you won't have to ask "What do I do next?" because it will feel quite obvious.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

Great nick!

Give us an idea of a project you'd like to do. You've looked at our tutorials and snippets?

A lot of what you're looking for comes with experience. Software development is and area where there's always something you can be learning, and it can be daunting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

Hi, thanks for the fast replies.
I really just want to focus on business applications at the moment as i'm heading for a Software Development course in University. Do you know any places where i can find open source programs and tutorials?

Thanks.

This post has been edited by c#ris: 23 November 2009 - 10:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:27 PM

Well im reading the Teach Yourself C# in 24 hours this is SAMS book, is not that good in alot of ways but some of the details that he goes throw are really good.
Here is the link in any case your interested.

http://www.informit....s...s&seqNum=84

In any other case do what metalfloss said, i come here everyday and try to read the code other people post and help them out, im also new in C# but sometimes you really are able to help and this is a great development. I can say this for sure because D.I.C was probably the place where i learned all I know about C++, 20% of my knowledge comes from my teacher the rest comes from D.I.C, between helping people and looking at Experts answer, or asking Experts when the time called for it, is just a vast ocean of knowledge.
:P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:00 AM

Ok. So, first thing you want to do is head on over to MSDN and download a SQL server. SQL Express is free last I checked. It's perfect for what you're after.

Once you get it, you can download the northwind database and get it set up. This is the standard test db that microsoft provides. Now, if this option doesn't sound fun, you can create your own tables.

Some text book examples of projects include:
- A zoo program. Create tables that hold records of animals. You can store whatever but maybe as an example, your animal has something like { Name, Age, DateAdopted, LastFed, Sex }. Then your program can interface with that table data and you can view the various animals of your zoo.

- An inventory program. Don't get too hung up on the concepts of inventory as they apply in the real world. It's a nightmare and very business specific. However, it could serve to get your feet wet. Create customers, products, vendors, and populate the data. Then create an application that presents it.

- An employee time card system. Create supervisors, employees, timecards, etc. Supervisors can have employees assigned to them and such. Timecards would be attributed to employees. You can even authenticate off of supervisors.

- A student roster. Kinda the same thing as employee timecard system, but with teachers and students and classes. Students are assigned to teachers. Teachers maintain grades and what not.

You know, just develop the ideas however you want. Get the DB designed out then write the code.

Here are the pitfalls and difficulties:
1. Connection string... it's so easy to get this wrong. Save yourself the trouble and hit connectionstrings.com. I'm going to let you use your detective skills to find the right one. :)
2. Maintaining your connection object. A good way for this is to use a singleton pattern. This isn't the best long-term method but for what you're after, it will give you some mileage.
3. CRUD on db. Create Read Update Delete - You'll realize after a bit of coding that you really want all of your DB access stuff in it's on conceptual area (whether that's a class or a whole new project.. up to you).

Once you have learned to do those things, learn NHibernate or LINQ to SQL. The former is an OR/M tool which allows you to create a thin veil of abstraction over the database itself. You essentially treat objects and tables the same via OR/Ms. As for LINQ to SQL, well ... there's quite a bit more to it than just a simple OR/M tool. But you'll learn about that soon enough.

Have fun. This road is rather rocky and steep. Take it slow :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:06 AM

Amazing, thanks a lot for the help and detail provided.
I'll have a play with this. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:15 AM

Glad to help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

If you're still looking for ideas (Even though plenty have been suggested already), then I think I know something that can help.

It was around here somewhere.. hmm. Uh-huh. Ok, let's see..

Aha!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• His name was Robert Paulson.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

Here's the book you want to download to start learning some of the nifty things C# has to offer.

You start building apps and learning at the same time. None of the theory theory theory garbage that bores most people.

Head First C#.
http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0596514824

PM me if you want a download link or something.

This post has been edited by papuccino1: 24 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1