6 Replies - 1357 Views - Last Post: 11 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Running a Green PC

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

I'm on my computer a lot, I don't think there has been a day in the passed 3 years in which i haven't been on it (maybe the odd one :D ). Now as you can guess this takes up a lot on the bills, So ive been looking in to ways of cutting this down.
I have found ways of cutting it down like Changing the hardware in your pc so it runs on less, Putting the computer too sleep when your away which i can do, but it would only cut it down to a curtain amount.

So i was thinking of being green and maybe creating my own power, I live in the north of England next too the coast which is VERY windy! and my house is elevated quite alot. So my though is too install a mini-wind turbine on the top.

I was just wondering if anyone has undergone a project or done something quite similar and what where the outcomes.

Thanks,
Tom

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Running a Green PC

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Running a Green PC

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

I always use hibernate (Start > Turn Off Computer > Hold Shift > Hibernate), since it allows the computer to be at the desktop and functional (without the typical startup lag) well within 20 seconds from pressing the button.

Besides that, depending on your lighting situation, you could dim your monitor (which wouldn't help all too much admittedly). There's also some settings you could change in Control Panel which would lower performance and required energy
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:25 AM

Thanks eric, I have done these i will see how much it effects it over the next couple of months.

I was just wondering if anyone has created there own power source using solar panels on roof, or mini wind turnbine?

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

Well sure its possible. This isnt really the appropiate forum to ask. You might want to ask on a Solar Power or Alternative Energy/Green Forum on how to set it up and then convert it to DC and then you can just hook up your computer like any other household electronic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

I've never created my own wind turbine, but my parents own one. We live in the mountains, so the electric companies offer to pay half the initial cost, and it's not too bad. After we got one, our bills were significantly reduced. Not sure if they do that in the UK though. As for solar panels or such, it doesn't sound too complicated, just more a matter of acquiring the right materials.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:31 PM

wind turbines freak me out!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

If I am going to be on my laptop for longer than an hour or two, I don't use the AC adapter. This uses the batter & not power from the wall, so it's both green & prolongs the life of the battery.

At the end of the day I power off & often times unplug the power to the monitor. The CRT's really eat up power!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1