How to begin making an RPG?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

40 Replies - 46143 Views - Last Post: 30 January 2010 - 01:34 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to begin making an RPG?

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:59 AM

So I would like to make an RPG similar to the old school Final Fantasies. The code isn't much of a problem; it's just that I have no idea how an RPG works or where to begin. It would be great if somebody could point me in the direction of a tutorial on how an RPG is made (I couldn't seem to find any that could answer the over-all question -- how is an RPG made) Please do not suggest RPGmaker or something of the like. Even the source or descriptive outline of a final fantasy-like RPG would be awesome, but once again, I could not find anything even close to what I was looking for. I guess my main question is how to code a storyline where the entire program is dependent on how "far" you are in the game, if that makes sense. Thanks.

C++ with allegro or SLD by the way, if that makes any difference.

This post has been edited by Ziedrich: 28 November 2009 - 03:02 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to begin making an RPG?

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to begin making an RPG?

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:10 AM

Well I think the code is going to be a problem. A RPG (even the one that looks simple) is a complex project. You need to start with a plan, how the stuff will be organized and why. Then, you need to start working module-by-module on the code.

There probably isn't a tutorial on how to make an RPG the way you want, but you can start with some basic game development tutorials here:

http://www.dreaminco...howforum108.htm

You need to get the grasp of the language and its possbilities first, when it comes to game programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:39 AM

This question is asked extremely often and unfortunately the answer is "learn to program", it may not be what you want to hear but I cannot think of a better way.

Let's say you want to make a typical JRPG, you are going to have to break down each part of that game and then work on them separately to make a whole. So taking that into account you can start to list requirements for your game and then think about the programming knowledge required to do them.

A typical JRPG
  • Keep track of HP, XP and other values.
  • Draw graphics
  • Battle system
  • Some way to check progress throughout the game

I can think of a lot more but this thread would get very boring very fast, so making an RPG is definitely not something you should do as a first game, make some easier arcade games and then there will probably be a few things off the list I made that you can tick off as knowing how to do.

Good luck :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:06 AM

you begin by reading sixofelevens tuts... xna.jtmbooks.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions, they helped a lot. I'm taking some programming classes next quarter so hopefully I can get motivated to learn more C++ :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:46 PM

You need to learn programming WELL before you begin making any sort of game on your own. If not, use an existing engine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perl Parson
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:35 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 28 Nov, 2009 - 07:46 PM, said:

You need to learn programming WELL before you begin making any sort of game on your own. If not, use an existing engine.

That's rather overstating things. I learned more programming by writing games than I did in classes back when I was in school. There are a lot of games that can be easily written with minimal knowledge of programming.

There are your classic guessing games, such as "think of a number between 1 and 100 and write a program to guess it" (basic flow control and logic), hangman (more advanced reasoning, reading external data (a dictionary file)), 20 questions (database interaction to remember the results for future games), etc.

There are basic arcade-type games, such as Missile Command, Asteroids, etc. clones.

Even a Zork-style text adventure (which is basically a story-based RPG without character advancement, when you get down to it) isn't that difficult once you've picked up a little about state management from some guessing or arcade games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Php Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:15 AM

i own a online rpg ( toke 2 years to get were it is )
it is the hardest thing ive ever done on a computer :P

if you would like your rpg to be online ( a in browser rpg ) then learn php c++ wll not do you any good at all

if you want them to download the game to play it c++ is the way
you would get more user from the php way not every 1 wants to download programs
i was gonna turn my rpg into a c++ project so the user would have to download the setup to play then play on there computer but seen has its a rpg there are a load of kids playing and i was getting comments ( my parents wont let me download )
with a online rpg its allways there no download no nothing :) :)

but that's up to you what why you pick to go
it is hard to code a rpg if i didn't have help from this forum and ppl on this forum i wouldn't of done it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

View Postdsherohman, on 29 Nov, 2009 - 04:35 AM, said:

View PostWolfCoder, on 28 Nov, 2009 - 07:46 PM, said:

That's rather overstating things. I learned more programming by writing games than I did in classes back when I was in school. There are a lot of games that can be easily written with minimal knowledge of programming.

There are your classic guessing games, such as "think of a number between 1 and 100 and write a program to guess it" (basic flow control and logic), hangman (more advanced reasoning, reading external data (a dictionary file)), 20 questions (database interaction to remember the results for future games), etc.

There are basic arcade-type games, such as Missile Command, Asteroids, etc. clones.

Even a Zork-style text adventure (which is basically a story-based RPG without character advancement, when you get down to it) isn't that difficult once you've picked up a little about state management from some guessing or arcade games.

I only meant games people would actually want to play from you. You know, the kind of games that require a good engine and everything. Not the 1000000th remake of some old text and Atari games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

Ok seriously....
1.Go out and by a notebook
2.Go out and by a sharpie,pencil, and pen
3.write the name of the game with sharpie on front of notebook
4.Go to first page and write your storyline, target audience, ect.
5. fill the rest of the book with design notes and ideas, you know you are done once you have 6 or 7 notebooks filled with stuff about your game.
6.make it
7.sell it
8.use that money to make a sequel that is even better! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

Actually, professional game developers type all their designs into documents and Excel spreadsheets for pre-production projections and calculations, balancing, and all that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:16 AM

Lol.

Try reading a Dungeons and Dragons manual. That's a good sized book that shows rules and could show basic mechanics of a role play. Maybe that'll help you get a good idea, especially since DnD is the grandfather of all RPG's.
Was This Post Helpful? 2

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:12 AM

I like being able to touch my work, not have it in excel
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:38 PM

You mean, you like actually being able to make a huge mess and only make small games, instead of plan ahead with Excel and design documents. When I started out, I read from an actual game developer that they plan numerical things out in Excel ESPECIALLY RPGs, hint hint so that they know ahead of time what to write, what to develop with little re-trails. You might even go as far as Matlab to do quick runs of numerical formulas, but I think no sentient being should ever have to program in Matlab. Excel's a good quick and easy assumptions calculator. You can even figure out how many levels, items, etc. to add in order for the game to be balanced mathematically, and then fine tune it later.

Take this excerpt from RPG Maker NET:

A Spreadsheet
<@Brickroad> chaos, I'm going to hand the floor over to kentona for a bit since he's apparently still here.
<@Brickroad> Because I have a few questions I'm dying to ask him.
<@kentona> ask away
<@Brickroad> How the heck did you balance all 670 of the classes in Hero's Realm? Or are they, like, not balanced?
<@kentona> ever seen one of my excel spreadsheets?
<@Brickroad> There's so much information involved you had to use a spreadsheet? =)
<@kentona> what I do is map out classes that I want
<@kentona> then I decide, per stat, which one would have the lowest, and which the highest
<@kentona> then, I map out the rest of the classes on a scale between those numbers
<@kentona> I usually start with a 1 to 7 scale, 7 being awesome
<@kentona> then transform it to whatever engine numbers I want to use
<@Brickroad> Thanks kentona. =) 

Yes, Heroes Realm was a mere RPG Maker 2003 game. However, the reason those who liked it liked it was because each class felt balanced and the overall experience was smooth. Normally these games completely suck, but it shows you how important planning can be for an RPG game in terms of making it fun.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 30 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:08 PM

I do do ALL of that plus alot more, just on paper
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -