5 Replies - 1121 Views - Last Post: 05 December 2009 - 11:59 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Take a look...

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:14 PM

Hey,

Just looking for some feedback on GraphicsCode.net.

Thanks.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Take a look...

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Take a look...

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

Well there is not much to say, it is a forum. Nothing incredibly special. The overall look is pretty simple and clean. Again, not much else I can add because there is very little that is actually new, innovative or of unique design.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:28 PM

Agreed with Martyr. It looks like it's close to a default skin (I may be wrong, just saying.)

There's nothing that really says original or innovative to be honest about the design, just like a regular forum skin with some random elements thrown up top for a banner.

The one thing I can say for sure is your font choice on the banner needs work for sure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:46 PM

The one thing I can say for sure is your font choice on the banner needs work for sure.
Funnily enough, I can honestly say I've asked 300 random people from 4 other forums, and they have said the banner and that font is great. So, I must disagree with you on that. You should know that is a very empty statement, without showing any proof, or suggestion. Or even any reason as to why it is a bad choice.

Its not a default skin, it has been made from the start, so I can see you have a lack of forum experience (but please prove me wrong :))

This post has been edited by firebolt: 05 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

Forums are typically endowed with a blue skin to start with that utilize some web 2.0 gradients and round buttons, most of the time with the script logo on them (IPB, PHPBB, etc.)

The font used is plaza plain or an extremely close neighbor. The problem is, like papyrus, the height and letter proportions don't compliment each other well. This creates a jagged effect and in conjunction with a site that is based around gradients instead of some form of big city layout it seems to be inappropriate as a choice of font. My guess is the designer of the font made it more for use to resemble buildings and old broadway lettering.

The outer glow on the font doesn't help the banner, it would be better faded out and a closer color to blue than the default yellow-ish tone. It makes the font look blurry which isn't the best of things in most cases. The A especially. Being that the font is meant to be jagged and structural blurriness defeats the purpose.

The banner itself is some random elements for Christmas, the feather I honestly can say I don't get whatsoever but perhaps there's some form of on-board joke or reference that I may not be familiar with. The wreath isn't matching the font extremely well, it would do better if it was thinned out to fit the style and bolder around the edges.

This looks slightly familiar:
http://img174.images...602/ded4yd3.png
via tineye and some cropping of the logo.

I'm not saying you stole it, maybe they did, but stock sites are safer bets on those types of things:
http://www.planetrenders.net
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:59 PM

Forums are typically endowed with a blue skin to start with that utilize some web 2.0 gradients and round buttons, most of the time with the script logo on them (IPB, PHPBB, etc.)
Nevertheless, I created that skin.

The font used is plaza plain or an extremely close neighbor.
Nope, its another font, but I wouldn't say extremely close.

The problem is, like papyrus, the height and letter proportions don't compliment each other well.
Exampleof 2-3 letters that don't, please.

This creates a jagged effect and in conjunction with a site that is based around gradients instead of some form of big city layout it seems to be inappropriate as a choice of font.
Thats a personal opinion.

My guess is the designer of the font made it more for use to resemble buildings and old broadway lettering.

Possibly, but I think more looking at logos and brand names.

The outer glow on the font doesn't help the banner, it would be better faded out and a closer color to blue than the default yellow-ish tone.

:blink: Whats yellow-ish tone?

It makes the font look blurry which isn't the best of things in most cases. The A especially. Being that the font is meant to be jagged and structural blurriness defeats the purpose.

Refer to above.

The banner itself is some random elements for Christmas, the feather I honestly can say I don't get whatsoever but perhaps there's some form of on-board joke or reference that I may not be familiar with.

Irrelevant to my previous post. I was focusing on font, not the banner. So, anything below here is irrelevant.

The wreath isn't matching the font extremely well, it would do better if it was thinned out to fit the style and bolder around the edges.

Ok.

This looks slightly familiar:
http://img174.images...602/ded4yd3.png
via tineye and some cropping of the logo.

I'm not saying you stole it, maybe they did, but stock sites are safer bets on those types of things:
http://www.planetrenders.net

So? I have used icons from other places, I never said they were mine, nor did I ever say I created them etc. Thats a pretty defamatory comment or what you were implying.

- - - - - - -

But anyway, at least you provided suggestions. Thanks.

This post has been edited by firebolt: 06 December 2009 - 12:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1