4 Replies - 997 Views - Last Post: 06 December 2009 - 07:46 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Book recommendations

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:08 PM

I am about to finish my first book first C++ programming book and am trying to find another one that goes a little bit more advance that I currently learning. I am reading the C++ Primer Plus 5th, from from cover to cover and will be re-reading to make sure I got all the tools I only used once or twice in the exercises, like templates. But I would like another book that will take me a little bit further and closer to actual window programming instead of console. I have been looking for a while and every book I look at just covers the same stuff the one I just finish covers. I am also programming on a Linux computer and a Mac computer, so Visual C++ will not work for me. Any suggestions for books (preferred books over online tutorials hate printing that much paper), would be greatly appreciated.

This post has been edited by Kimyoufox: 06 December 2009 - 04:10 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Book recommendations

• Great::Southern::Land
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Book recommendations

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

Look into QT and the GTK if you want to program gui under linux, also as an IDE for linux programming install codeblocks which should be a neat and tidy IDE for c++ dev under gnu linux :)

This post has been edited by bbq: 06 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:13 PM

I currently use code blocks on my linux machine. I still not using it to its full potential but I guess that takes time to completely under stand all the features.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

Just made a post on book reccomdations. Check out the replys.

Book Reccomendations
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

I'd also recommend looking into QT. You can try a few online tutorials and see if it's for you. Personally I found the difficultly of porting the programs to windows to not be worth it (but that's just me).

The Prata book is a good book. It's better than the official Java book we used in my computer science course. And that sounds like a good idea to re-read it. Even though Prata goes into serious detail about what is going on in C++ when you write code sometimes you don't get the 'big picture' until the second read. For instance regarding templates, it took me awhile to see the need for template specialization. Of course it makes sense given that you might need to specialize a template while having the same return value and the same number of arguments, but it got lost on me.

A working example, not just cut up code, of template explicit specialization would have been nice as well.

And finally, all the classic C++ books are based on console programs, including Lippman's C++ Primer (no plus).

By the way, how long did it take you to finish it if you don't mind me asking?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1