Community Game Development Project

Officially endorsed by the DIC community

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

169 Replies - 48533 Views - Last Post: 23 January 2009 - 06:15 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Community Game Development Project

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:48 PM

This sounds like a very interesting idea. I would love to help, but I doubt i could be of much help. Don't really know much about game programming. I can help you with non graphical functions and algorithms. I also know my way around PS, and can contribute textures and other stuff.

I can't wait to see a game completely programmed by members by </D.I.C>, that would really show how great this forum is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• rÍvant.toujours
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:10 PM

jesus kids, listen to nexus.

you need to decide

Team:
The Boss (ultimate arbiter)
Sub-Bosses (like a small group of guys who can suggest/debate, etc.)

+ Start gathering a possible dev team (guys who know graphics api's, algorithm programming, etc)

then you need to decide (with said team)
what kind of game you want to make (this can be done democraticly)
what language is the best (simple, ridiculously dumb applets or legit game with c++ *note at the end)

and then you finalize a dev team (but you can always accept outside contributions)

and then you write a program chart (flow chart, class hiearchy, etc.)
and then you get started

*The reason I say this is because even if the team were to decide on, lets say, a mudd dungeon game, and applet would be the easiest choice but certainly the not most powerful. I would always choose C++ even though it is not the easiest, because it remains the standard for game programming. Networking isn't easy? Oh well, guess you need to learn socket and internet protocol, but guess what, you'll be a thousand times better off for it. Better to display something difficult from start to finish rather than do it the lame way, no one learns if you do what you already know how to do.

just my deux cents
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:14 PM

I hate all you damn gamers

Except Nexus ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• rÍvant.toujours
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:18 PM

Nova Dragoon, on 1 Feb, 2006 - 05:11 PM, said:

I hate all you damn gamers

Except Nexus ;)

*goes and slits throat*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:22 PM

Videege, on 1 Feb, 2006 - 05:07 PM, said:

jesus kids, listen to nexus.

you need to decide

Team:
The Boss (ultimate arbiter)
Sub-Bosses (like a small group of guys who can suggest/debate, etc.)

+ Start gathering a possible dev team (guys who know graphics api's, algorithm programming, etc)

then you need to decide (with said team)
what kind of game you want to make (this can be done democraticly)
what language is the best (simple, ridiculously dumb applets or legit game with c++ *note at the end)

and then you finalize a dev team (but you can always accept outside contributions)

and then you write a program chart (flow chart, class hiearchy, etc.)
and then you get started

*The reason I say this is because even if the team were to decide on, lets say, a mudd dungeon game, and applet would be the easiest choice but certainly the not most powerful.  I would always choose C++ even though it is not the easiest, because it remains the standard for game programming.  Networking isn't easy? Oh well, guess you need to learn socket and internet protocol, but guess what, you'll be a thousand times better off for it.  Better to display something difficult from start to finish rather than do it the lame way, no one learns if you do what you already know how to do.

just my deux cents

Good suggestions about the flow charts, and reason to use c++, thats my take on it too. And like iv already said, several times now. This thread is to gather the group that wants to do this. And Now it looks like its kicking off in the right direction.

TEAM:
Dec1pher
knownasilya
WolfCoder
Mrafcho001

Nexus and Videege you guys want in to?

This post has been edited by knownasilya: 01 February 2006 - 05:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:28 PM

If this is going to be open sourced, and nova can probably weigh in on this a little better than I... you may want to use sourceforge.net to help organize the project?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:29 PM

Thats an excellent Idea imo. We should codename this project until we have a name. Anyideas? Okay, I have an SF.Net account set up, I need a unix name, which will be the subdomain for the project.

DICproject
DIC
GDIC <--fave

Vote or suggest.

C++ & DirectX
C++ & OpenGL

Vote or suggest.

mySQL

Vote or suggest.

GPL License?

Vote or suggest.

If multiplayer, then a database is required?
Whats the standard with C++, I know mySQL is used. But thats about it.

We also need a description for SF.NEt to be considered for SF.Net hosting.

Please provide a detailed, accurate, English-language description of your project, including technical aspects which cause it to differ from similar, existing solutions. This description will not be used as a public description of your project.

This is considered the most important factor when we consider a project for hosting on SourceForge.net. Submitted description should be at least two paragraphs in length, and provide details of your intended implementation. This description, along with the Trove Categorization, will be the basis for the approval or rejection of your request for project hosting on SourceForge.net, and later, to ensure that you are using the services in the intended way.

This description needs to be technical and tangible, not abstract and philosophical. Please explain what the software will do, what purpose it will serve, and the basic problem it will solve.

Note regarding license exceptions: If your project is using a standard license (i.e. the GPL), but is adding custom exceptions to the terms of this license, the details must be specified on the Trove Categorization page by selecting the 'Other' license type and providing the details in the resulting field. Only license details specified on the Trove Categorization page will be considered. Any license details specified on this description page will be considered null and void, unbinding; we will expect you are using the license specified on the license page. The license page is the right place to tell us about license details and exceptions, not here.

Text length: You may provide up to 10KB of text here, though we suggest you be concise and to-the-point. Providing a complete set of information about your project, while keeping this description short, will help us to review your project quickly (and lower the chances your project will be rejected when it is first reviewed). Minimum: 200 characters.

This post has been edited by knownasilya: 01 February 2006 - 07:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:09 PM

There is smoke coming out of my ears, my head is on fire.

You're diving into this stuff way too fast! Storys and stuff are being spitted out before we even have a project manager. Whenever i've seen groups work on games, they usually try to go way too fast. Keep in mind the team listed is very out of sync in terms of skills and power and speed.

It is of upmost importance that we decide the director of this project who ultimatly decide YES or NO. I am interested in working but I can drop off ideas and theory, algorithms, game programming techniques, and everything else i've learned while making games.

So many posts, and the only solid thing I see is that we're making an Action/RPG in C++. I seriously vote that dec1pher to be the director.

I am very critical about this, we need to slow down an syncronize our efforts or we'll just be a bunch of programmers talking about 30 different things, Nexus and Videege make the most important point.

dec1pher, you should be the director.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:34 PM

I agree. okay, ill slow it down. ^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:38 AM

Well, first and first off, at the very begining we must tie our wires between us. So we must obtain a contacting way to each other that'll work pendant whole project. Chatterfox is good but Wolf thinks it has got a great potention to not work on his machine. That means we must find something more stable for everyone. For few weeks Chatterfox will be suitable for basic contacting. In this 'basic contacting' time we can discuss the basics of the projects via Chatterfox...

For Sourceforge: After having the 'basics of the project' we can get the webspace and build a nice web page for it...

So as i mentioned we must gather a group. And then we must make commission plan (Like who'll do what). After that we must plan the game then code it. (Don't worry about the low level programming part it's almost done :))

__for chatterfox: http://www.chatterfox.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:18 AM

Except Nexus wink2.gif

i'm not a gamer!! i play rise of nations OCCASIONALLY, but the mongols always beat me. DAMN YOU GHENGIS KAHNNNNNNNNN
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

Dark_Nexus, on 2 Feb, 2006 - 01:15 PM, said:

Except Nexus wink2.gif

DAMN YOU GHENGIS KAHNNNNNNNNN

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

dec1pher, on 2 Feb, 2006 - 03:35 AM, said:

Well, first and first off, at the very begining we must tie our wires between us. So we must obtain a contacting way to each other that'll work pendant whole project. Chatterfox is good but Wolf thinks it has got a great potention to not work on his machine. That means we must find something more stable for everyone. For few weeks Chatterfox will be suitable for basic contacting. In this 'basic contacting' time we can discuss the basics of the projects via Chatterfox...

For Sourceforge: After having the 'basics of the project' we can get the webspace and build a nice web page for it...

So as i mentioned we must gather a group. And then we must make commission plan (Like who'll do what). After that we must plan the game then code it. (Don't worry about the low level programming part it's almost done :))

__for chatterfox: http://www.chatterfox.com

We can use MSN or AIM to keep in touch with each other. Im registered at chatterfox, my username is mrafcho001.

AIM: programmer4Life or Stupidterorrists
MSN: [email protected]
E-Mail: [email protected]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:47 PM

Yea, chatterfox failed to work. The ONLY chat program I will use (because it seems to be the only one that works on my machine) is XFire.

My computer doesn't like chat programs at all...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• PepŤ Le Pewn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:59 PM

I suggest a team of goated flying communist monkeys led by Mr. Angry to be under the control of Omfgoshkinov Roflbowsky the evil communist dictator. Sam Jones the quiet democrat who enjoys quiet however luciously long walks on the beach will concoct magical bananas to swiftly and stealthly take over the minds of the monkeys killing all leverage Roflbowsky may have had.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »