Computer Overheating Problem

• (2 Pages)
  • +

28 Replies - 2281 Views - Last Post: 09 January 2010 - 12:38 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Computer Overheating Problem

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:33 PM

Hi, I've recently installed windows 7 and when ever i play my games like, World of Warcraft, or even Call of Duty 4 my computer starts to overheat. I get constant errors in games and crashes the game, and i'm basically forced to turn off the comp.
I have a quad core 9300 @2.50Ghz, 6BG of ram, nvidia 9800 GTX. And my motherboard is the P5N-D Asus model.
Can anyone help me on how to fix this? The video card has 1 fan built on, i have a seperate fan on the case and another fan on top of the CPU. From this program im running its telling me that i have the temperature at around 45-55 all the time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer Overheating Problem

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Re: Computer Overheating Problem

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

44-55 isn't that bad, at least when I overclock stuff that's still in the range where stuff doesn't catch fire. Are you sure it overheating?

If you are, then check all the fans for any blockage, and make sure the desktop is well ventilated and not in a corner somewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:12 PM

well, from what im seeing i get an game crash message telling me your system is overheating, and tells me to turn off the pc so i dont know. Also, if i leave the computer ilde for like 2-3 hours and i come back, my computer makes MAD SOUND. Is is my raptor 10krpm? or something else. Its completly idle like sleep mode and everything. And sound goes through the roof. Also i recorded the temp readings. It says its at 60-70 while i play my games. Is that ok or no? Nothing is overclocked by the way
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

Well 60-70C in my opinion is way too hot. If you've only got a single case fan then it sounds as if you definitely need more. In my case I now have 7 140mm fans and a dual 65mm fan CPU cooler. A single case fan will not keep a system like that cool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

Ya, I'd still check for blockage on the fans, but I've heard the 9800 is rough when it comes to heat and remember your running quad so it's gonna heat up faster then tiger woods running from his lawyers. Best off to get a better cooling system, likely more fans or a bigger one (although if you ambitious nitrogen cooling is really fun).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:59 PM

If i take a picutre of the inside of my pc and case do you think you can help me better on what fan to fit inside? Cause right now i p[lanning to cut open one side of the case :S
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

Here are some pictures. I'm planning to replace the cpu fan im guessing. If anyone could tell me what to change would be greatly appreciated. Here is a link to what i am using. its via image shack because it wouldnt let me upload here : http://img697.images...?g=1000471q.jpg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:33 PM

I can't tell from that pic if you could fit a exhaust fan between the card and whatever else you have, but if you could, it'd really help. It'll shovel the hot card air out immediately.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:00 PM

I'm probably going to change the case and the CPU fan as i think its the cpu fan from what im reading online. Does anyone have recommendations on a Case or CPU Fan? I prob spend under $150 for both
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

I was thinking about this case : http://www.tigerdire...a...20&csid=_21 what do you guys think? Can i find better for that price currently?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:26 AM

Here's the case fan I was talking about earlier, goes well with any case provided there's room.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

Oh, i see what you meant now. But i tried a little experiment before i went to buy something else. What i did was cut a whole of a 80x80mm fan on the side of my case, and positioned right beside the video card. Now the video card went from 60 - 50 which was an ok drop. But now my cpu is still sitting at 50-60 when i play. Would changing my current cpu fan change anything? Also maybe its the thermal grease thats done? I'm thinking about buying the thermal grease and re-applying it before i buy a cpu fan. Also for that exhaust fan that you showed me, i would only be able to put that like in-between my video card and my sound card. What would it do? Blow air into the video card or suck the air out immediately?

This post has been edited by Jokerrk: 27 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

View PostJokerrk, on 27 Dec, 2009 - 09:38 AM, said:

Oh, i see what you meant now. But i tried a little experiment before i went to buy something else. What i did was cut a whole of a 80x80mm fan on the side of my case, and positioned right beside the video card. Now the video card went from 60 - 50 which was an ok drop. But now my cpu is still sitting at 50-60 when i play. Would changing my current cpu fan change anything? Also maybe its the thermal grease thats done? I'm thinking about buying the thermal grease and re-applying it before i buy a cpu fan. Also for that exhaust fan that you showed me, i would only be able to put that like in-between my video card and my sound card. What would it do? Blow air into the video card or suck the air out immediately?

If you're still wanting to save the computer without paying a lot, try cutting a hole in the top of the case (known as a heat spout [heat rises]) and putting an exhaust fan there. If you just want to be done with it, then I recommend:

This case, Heat Sink Fan, and thermal compound.

If you buy all three (and install them correctly) then you WILL NOT have heating issues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:32 AM

i would love to buy that case but for $120 CA is quite a bit money for a case. I will probably go out and buy the CPU fan by Antic and the cooling compound. Also, that exhaust fan i will probably buy as well. Still thinking if i should cut open a hole on top of the case :S
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

I guess it's all about what's important to you. When I was a junior in high school, I built a gaming beast. The case was $320 alone and that wasn't even close to the most expensive component. It's called the Antec p190 if you care to look. It's lasted me 4 years so far. Just remember that you get what you pay for and the Antec 900 is a LANning case. It's light-weight and has great air flow.

You will probably be fine going with the HSF and thermal compound, but just remember that you can only cool your CPU and GPU down to the ambient case temp. Also, you can only cool your ambient case temp down to your ambient room temp. If the inside of your case is hot, then your processors will be hot. If the room that the PC is in is hot, then everything will be hot. Cooling is an all-encompassing thing if done correctly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +