3 Replies - 1398 Views - Last Post: 09 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Are Web Applications phasing out Desktop applications gradually?

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:33 AM

The current trend right now in the software world (using my locality as a statistical sample-West Africa precisely ) is a rather rapidly-gradual migration towards web applications than its desktop counterpart.

Job vacancies now specify expertise in web development as major or only criteria for intending applicants. This leaves me with the obvious questions: are developers who have continued to ignore the web about to be extinct? will web applications gradually phase out desktop applications?

What's your opinion with respect to your own locality?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Are Web Applications phasing out Desktop applications gradually?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Are Web Applications phasing out Desktop applications gradually?

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:14 AM

as long as there are computers, people will want applications for them. As long as the average person is too lazy/stupid/busy with other things to make his own applications, he will rely on what is available. Web apps are appealing in two ways: they're (as a general rule) free, and you don't have to download and install them to use them. Other than this, they are less reliable, slower, and usually have less features- although this is certainly starting to change.

In short, web development has it's place, and that place is growing, but there will always be demand for the ability to make desktop applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:27 AM

I agree with Choscura, but sometimes it sure seems like they're phasing out slowly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Darken the Radar

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

I don't know you look at Google's web-based operating system and you realize that web applications can often do what their desktop application counterparts can. But when you actually look at the difference between the two your internet application typically require resources from your desktop application. So while the need for Web Developers is growing it seems only logical to believe that the need for Software Engineers and Programmers will grow along side of it, still focusing on desktop applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1