3 Replies - 1102 Views - Last Post: 13 January 2010 - 01:09 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Concerning ADO.Net

Post icon  Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:01 PM

One thing I'm not at all clear about is this: When building an application in C# using ADO.Net and the finished product is to be installed on the client computer, must the client have either Access of SQL Server installed to successfully run the application. I can't get my head around this ... not even sure if I'm explaining myself clearly! Could someone please help me with this, assuming of course that you understand my problem!!!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Concerning ADO.Net

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Concerning ADO.Net

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

Well, that really depends, but most probably yes. My advice is to store the connection string into a separate file and then reading it from that file when application starts. That way, you can specify different connection string when running your application from different computer (since the connection could have different IP, port, username, password, timeout properties when connection to the SQL server).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:41 PM

when dealing with SQL Server, for the most part, no. normally, you would use either a SQL Compact database, which doesn't require SQL Server to be installed, or you are using a service-based SQL Server which is installed on a server somewhere and the client connects to it over the internet.

Don't know about Access. Haven't ever used it as a database for a .Net app.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:09 PM

Hello,
I assume its a desktop application and not a web based system so therefore SQL Server Compact is ideal.

It comes a part of Microsoft Visual Studio and its ideal for mobile applications

Regarding MS Access, I have used it brifely in the past to test a sample database. If your going to use Access to simply store some basic information such as employee info in small quantity that MS Access is ideal but if your going to do a lot fo things with the data in the database then I recommend using SQL Server Compact.

Here are some links that may help you:
SQL Server Compact tutorial

Look further down and theres an example
Microsofts Embedded Datatbase

Kind Regards
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1