1 Replies - 4092 Views - Last Post: 14 January 2010 - 09:27 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Server / client over network

Post icon  Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:58 AM

I'd like to know what the best way to communicate between two applications via a LAN would be?
..and would it work over multiple versions of Windows (XP, Vista, NT etc..)?

My understanding of VB.net is fair, I'm not a total newbie but certainly not experienced enough
to figure out how to do this on my own.

I am setup with Visual Basic Express 2008.

Cheers!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Server / client over network

• N00by VB.NET Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Server / client over network

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:27 AM

Yes, it would work on multiple versions of Windows, if they all had the necessary prerequisites installed on them.

Here's the easiest way I know - but it will have a delay of ~5 seconds, and it's not very efficient. Experienced VB.netters will prolly frown upon this - but this is a really easy way.

- Get a website to host a tiny FTP server for you, there are a lot that will do this:
http://www.free-webh...bhosting-01.php
- Put a text file in it
- Upload text to the file using the upload command in the System.Net name space whenever you want to tell your other applications something
- Get every one of your applications to download that file every 5ish seconds, and if the file has changed, then do something according to the text in the file

Another way is by using TCP sockets, this way is proabably the most popular, and will allow you to communicate more efficiently... here is a GREAT tutorial
http://www.dreaminco...wtopic21431.htm

Or... you can do it by email, or even phone or hardware, or people :P

This post has been edited by LeisureProgrammer: 14 January 2010 - 09:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1