would like some conversion help?

need help in converting a game im making when finished

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 863 Views - Last Post: 20 January 2010 - 09:52 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

would like some conversion help?

Post icon  Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:26 AM

okay I figured I would start at the beginning and say something like hi my name is Seth and I love video-games... My goal in lif is to become a video game 3d designer/artist.I say artist because I discovered that I script like a cow trying to hula-hoop on a pogo stick So just for beginner things i decided to start making flash games on a thing called game maker its a download and I love it the problem is when you make games in game maker anyone who wants to play must download game maker, so my question is this if I ever get this game done(trust me its not gay or anything Ive worked with game maker 3 years) will anyone attempt to make it into a flash game instead so I can you know spread it around just a little more. I just want to show some simple ideas Ive made before the end of the year...also if anyone happens to know how to use game maker already I could use help on the work I know this seems like a mooch thing but I really need the help thanks in advanced :D

oh yeah its a 2d top veiw shooter that I was gonna call hoverbot but changed my mind

This post has been edited by sethmoore: 19 January 2010 - 07:27 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: would like some conversion help?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: would like some conversion help?

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:17 AM

View Postsethmoore, on 19 Jan, 2010 - 06:26 AM, said:

okay I figured I would start at the beginning and say something like hi my name is Seth and I love video-games... My goal in lif is to become a video game 3d designer/artist.I say artist because I discovered that I script like a cow trying to hula-hoop on a pogo stick So just for beginner things i decided to start making flash games on a thing called game maker its a download and I love it the problem is when you make games in game maker anyone who wants to play must download game maker, so my question is this if I ever get this game done(trust me its not gay or anything Ive worked with game maker 3 years) will anyone attempt to make it into a flash game instead so I can you know spread it around just a little more. I just want to show some simple ideas Ive made before the end of the year...also if anyone happens to know how to use game maker already I could use help on the work I know this seems like a mooch thing but I really need the help thanks in advanced :D

oh yeah its a 2d top veiw shooter that I was gonna call hoverbot but changed my mind

Your programming, and your posts may be helped by the addition of things called carriage returns, or paragraphs.

Like this.

It makes it easier to understand what you are talking about. I don't know if it is possible to easily convert a Game Maker game in to Flash. I suspect it is not. Yo Yo games, the company developing Game Maker hosts games, but they're not converted to Flash.

Here's the thing, I'm glad you've decided on what you want to do, but you've already chosen the wrong tool. You may be a crap programmer, but very few of the good programmers here started good. We all learn, and it's hard graft. If you can't think logically and can't solve problems, Programming isn't for you. If you want to do 3d modeling, get a 3d modeling program, and learn to use it.

Ogre, and Blender both do 3d modeling and can build a game around the modeling, with some proper programming support. If you really want to do 3d modeling, those may be a good place to start. Game Maker is a shortcut that makes compromises, and eventually you will hit your head against its limitations. It may be a place to start learning concepts and tinkering with, but if you develop a passion for game programming, you will have to move on to something else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:19 AM

View Postsethmoore, on 19 Jan, 2010 - 07:26 AM, said:

...the problem is when you make games in game maker...

I've played lots of Game Maker games without actually needing to download Game Maker.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:52 AM

Hi sethmoore,

I've only used game maker for a very small amount of time, but I do believe there is an option in the file menu to create an executable file from your game. Now if you just give people the executable file, they will be able to play it without needing to download game maker themselves.

As I said before, I've only used game maker for a small amount of time so I may be wrong on this. But I'm pretty positive there is a way to create an executable in game maker.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1