and Virtually Dissociative Personalities

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1315 Views - Last Post: 05 February 2010 - 08:26 AM

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Online Mob Behavior

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:06 AM

I came across this article today and it struck a nerve with my intellectual curiosity into the psychology of online personalities.

As a forum moderator I am often shocked by how cruel the web can be -- I am often shocked by how cruel I can be online.

Anyway I put my initial thoughts into a blog post since this forum is not really the appropriate place for it (one of the online social mores I often blunderingly ignore) but I am interested in what others think of the article.

The Lounge is often the site of some online mob-like beat-downs -- often resulting in loosing members, sometimes even injuring some of our long-time members. I have learned that it takes a thick skin to survive the lounge.

The forums too have their vigilante wild west justice too as new members are battered into conforming with social norms.

And although it is like asking the mice to take notes as they make their way though the maze -- What do think of the group-think and socialization rituals of online communities?

Do you agree that such things might bleed over into the "real world" as our virtual and offline lives begin to merge? Will this merging be problematic for society? Could this just be a rough stepping stone on the road to global socialization and humanity's evolution?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Online Mob Behavior

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Online Mob Behavior

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:15 AM

The loss of anonymity combined with a verifiable record means the mob mentality dies. The fundamental idea in any mob is that one single person can't be blamed for any action by the mob, and therefore any actions taken by the mob are excusable because no one single person can be blamed and it is inefficient and unacceptable to punish all members of a mob for the mobs actions.

Even /b/ would be civil if people were forced to use their real names.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:15 AM

I have actually hear people speak the letters OMG and WTF. We are there. :ph34r:

Cruelty online has a number of factors. One is clearly lack of reprisal, so cowards can get their cranky on. However, on the whole, I'm usually more willing to blame simple stupid self involvement, rather than malicious intent, for most of the ill in the world. All you have to do is look at social sites to know it's all about me, me, me, me, ME!

The other factor is the limits of communication. In the real world I can look someone in the eye and say "you are an idiot" and they'll laugh. Body language and tone of voice give a lot of context. With text alone, people often take offense where none was intended.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:26 AM

Posted Image

I think people follow the online hive mind in forums because it's just easier to gang up on someone. About two years ago, I was a moderator at an MMO forum and it was amazing how a handful of people singlehandedly destroyed a community of more than 3000 players. Things started small with petty bickering, and then shit hit the fan when users started infiltrating guilds and looting vaults.

Ever since then I've learned to not give a crap about online interactions except with people who I can learn something from or teach something to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1