Is IE7 the end of Firefox...or is Flock?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

27 Replies - 4023 Views - Last Post: 02 July 2008 - 08:19 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Is IE7 the end of Firefox...or is Flock?

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:33 PM

Is IE7 a Firefox killer?

Among new security features IE7 will boast new gimmick(?) features that Firefox lacks, like a Quick Tabs feature that includes thumbnail view of all of your tabs and a Page Zoom...etc.
But what about Flock?

Flock is based on Firefox, but it takes a different approach to almost everything.
Where most browsers are designed to display the web, Flock is designed to interact with it. It does this in three ways: blogs, Flickr and its bookmarking system.

Enter details of your blog (Flock supports Blogger, Movable Type and WordPress) you can update your blog at any time by right-clicking text on a page and choosing ‘blog this’.

Use the Flickr mode in the Topbar to access your Flickr photoset and then drag images across to the Blog Editor.

Flock has integrated RSS reading and aggregation, so you could create a collection of RSS feeds, call it News and view headlines from that collection in a single page.

Read more:
at netmag.co.uk
at bitsandbuzz.com

Flock is still in developer preview, but do you think flock is already f***ed?

This post has been edited by danielle_1_uk: 31 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is IE7 the end of Firefox...or is Flock?

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is IE7 the end of Firefox...or is Flock?

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

I'd be using IE full time if it had tabs. The only real reason im using FF is because of the tabs.

I've tried IE7 the 1st Beta version its quite awesome.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

IE7 may replace firefox for some users, but not those who care about proper rendering of web pages. Despite years of promises, IE7 still does not meet CSS rendering standards, among other rendering problems. There is also the matter of security. I'll be the first to admit that M$ has made great strides in security over the last few years (compared to their previous security priorities), but many of the advances they've made are only halfway to where they need to go. IE7 will by default disable many ActiveX components, but not all, and the average user doesn't understand enough about the horrendous security vulnerabilities of ActiveX to stop them from re enabling them...the first time the user sees the popup that advises them ActiveX is required to be enabled, they'll click yes...opening the browser right back up again. Further to that (and noted in the article), only in Vista (delayed yet again) will the browser be isolated from the OS. Most IE7 users will run XP...as with any new OS, the intial uptake will be slow, especially given the recommended hardware requirements for Vista. On XP, IE7 is still integrated...a hole in the browser is a tunnel to the OS.

Finally, IE7 will still be proprietary software...for power browser users, this is not good enough...there are simply not enough plugins for IE for power users, as M$ doesn't want anyone but them building them. For power browser users, the lack of plugins will ensure they still use ff (if they do now).

Overall, I expect to certainly see some FF users switch back to IE, but not enought to kill FF...it will be those interested in eye candy as opposed to true functionality.

Having said all that, I still wish FF would concentrate more on plugging memory leaks than new themes! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

the thumbnail is kinda silly cause i already know what's on the tab, and i can already zoom in with mah keyboard's drivers. I AM TEH WINNAR!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:01 AM

The fact that IE has always given me problems simply by crashing. I try to go back a page or click on something and I have to use Task Manager to close IE. It even happens when i'm viewing pages off of my disk and not online! I like FF because it's only crashed once, and that was my fault.

In fact, the only reason I use IE is to update my machine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:17 AM

There's a huge difference between IE and Firefox and that's why i won't use IE never and never. Guessed? FIREFOX IS OPENSOURCE.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Connection failed
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:40 AM

IE = 80 MB of install and yet crappy.
FF = 13 MB of install and intelligent.

ill stick with FF. no matter what, and yea FF isnt gonna sit just like that, im sure they will come outta with something
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:10 AM

Quick! Has everyone rewritten their activeX controls to work in IE again!!!!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:55 AM

FF is alot safer too, automatic downloads always appear on IE ( all versions) so FF asks you whether to accept or not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:04 PM

Nobody's mentioned Flock :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:19 PM

Haha, Good point, no onr has
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

danielle_1_uk, on 1 Apr, 2006 - 01:56 PM, said:

flock seems to be an overrated built in plug-in. i'm almost positive both firefox and opera already have similar plugins based on the blogging software you use. i don't think it will have a signifigant impact on what browser people will pick.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:12 PM

supersloth, on 1 Apr, 2006 - 07:32 PM, said:

danielle_1_uk, on 1 Apr, 2006 - 01:56 PM, said:

flock seems to be an overrated built in plug-in. i'm almost positive both firefox and opera already have similar plugins based on the blogging software you use. i don't think it will have a signifigant impact on what browser people will pick.

Well Flock is well aware that most of its features will become/are already becoming extensions to other browsers (e.g. Performancing already gives Firefox one of Flock's main capabilities - blog editing) but Flock are building their own browser ...why use a browser that you have to download loads of plugins and extensions for when you can get that same functionality "as is" somewhere else?

Also, seeing as how everyone and their dog seems to have a flickr account these days, maybe this feature alone will sway a few...

I had little faith in Firefox before I tried it but the transition from IE to Firefox was a swift and happy experience, so I am holding out on this one until a version is released that I feel warrants a test drive.

Plus I like their CEO's ethos :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:36 PM

because it's basically just bloatware? i know i personally hate things like that being built in when i never use them, its a waste of memory and system resources. the development of ie7 so far looks just like the development of any other ie's, complete lack of choice. those who want choice will choose the browser that works best for them, and the sheep will just use ie anyways. i really dont think this is going to have an impact on anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:27 PM

I dont think any software here is going to be killing anyother software. Everything has its niche. and IE sucks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +