4 Replies - 2864 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2010 - 01:47 AM

#1 Guest_Lara*

Photoshop as a prerequisite for Indesign & Illustrator

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:58 AM

I am an absolute novice when it comes to anything to do with software programmes - or computers for that matter - so excuse my ignorance.

I am wanting to do both the Adobe Illustrator and Indesign Courses at my local University. I have no experience with photoshop yet, as this course only begins much later in the year.

Is it a waste of time to do the other two, above mentioned courses, with no proper knowledge of photoshop? Or is it recommended for one to have a knowledge of photoshop first?

Also, could someone tell me - whether Illustrator or InDesign is better to do if i am wanting to work in the journalism/communications field as opposed to Design?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Photoshop as a prerequisite for Indesign & Illustrator

#2 BetaWar   User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Photoshop as a prerequisite for Indesign & Illustrator

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:05 AM

It wouldn't be a waste to learn the other two. They all have pretty much the same basic features, it is just that Photoshop is more geared towards photo manipulations, Illustrator towards vector artwork, and InDesign towards Magazine spreads/ books. They all work together pretty well, so if you learn one you will be able to pick the others up fairly easily.

If you are looking at going into journalism I would probably suggest at least taking the class on InDesign, as it is all about making spreads and doing things typographically that you will be sending to a print house.

Hope that makes sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

The great thing about the suite is that if you learn one fully, then you are at least 1/3 of the way to mastering the others. The palette system is the same, along with most basic functions and way of working.

Illustrator and Photoshop are very similar (in form not function) , inDesign slightly less so but indesign is a program that most people don't learn off the bat (thinking that you can accomplish the same things with other programs - but you really can't) and can be very beneficial for your career and is a real nice addition to the resume.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

Honestly it all comes down to preference and what you were brought up to speed on. For me I only had access to photoshop so I learned that whereas someone else might have used macromedia to start and became fond of fireworks. It all depends and learning them all at the same time or quite close? I'd go for it, it'll make it less daunting to open it up for the first time when you actually need it for something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:47 AM

View PostLemur, on 23 February 2010 - 10:51 PM, said:

macromedia

macromedia flash 4.0 is where it all began for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1