ERP application developed in VB

Application running slow at times

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 13396 Views - Last Post: 26 April 2006 - 07:52 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

ERP application developed in VB

Post icon  Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:12 AM

We are facing a peculiar problem. Our erp application developed in VB 6.0 /SQL server 2000 under Client server (not .net). It is kept on a server. The server is accessed by users located at 6 remote branches through MTS. Sometimes the application runs very slow. We generally check database locks, blocks, log files and space on the server. When everything is normal and network is also working fine we do not know why it runs slow. Next day we find that everything is normal. That means it happens intermittantly.

Can any one tell us the reason.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1

Replies To: ERP application developed in VB

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ERP application developed in VB

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:42 AM

There are several reasons why the application may be running slow, and it would require actual monitoring or some deeper information to determine what it is. Can you pinpoint the times at which it runs slow? Have you established any defined correlation between number of users and and the slowdown periods? Do they occur at the same time each day? Detailed analysis is the key...if some further information is available, we may be able to suggest some root causes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ERP application developed in VB

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:52 AM

IMHO:
1) It's VB6.
2) It's MTS.

MTS runs slow at times, by design. For the most part, if you are running something in MTS, it WILL run slower than running it directly from the client.

I used to write all my applications in VB6. I ported the same logic over to C# or C++ and it increased in speed by at least 50%, and the amount of code that was used decreased by about 40% for C#, about the same for C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1