Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game Design Proposal

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game Design Proposal

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

This sounds like it should be in the Post A Job forum.

Sounds interesting though, and I'm sure you'll get some replies. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

View PostlesPaul456, on 11 April 2010 - 07:06 PM, said:

Thanx - I thought I had posted this in the proper venue, but it looks like I missed the appropriate sub-section. I'll correct that, and appreciate the information.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:34 PM

View PostlesPaul456, on 11 April 2010 - 06:06 PM, said:

Sadly, despite my high hopes response to the request has been exceedingly lacking....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

I posted a less than helpful response. It's the truth though. *shrugs*

It might be some help to include what aptitude you're looking for in terms of programming language, as well as who on the team has what done. If the programmer knows that everything else is pretty much in place, they may be a tinge more willing to take the risk.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

View Postjohnmatthais, on 19 April 2010 - 06:40 PM, said:

I posted a less than helpful response. It's the truth though. *shrugs*

It might be some help to include what aptitude you're looking for in terms of programming language, as well as who on the team has what done. If the programmer knows that everything else is pretty much in place, they may be a tinge more willing to take the risk.

Actually, it's a helpful and appreciated response.

We are looking for a programmer experienced in, I believe, C++ and/or game programming. At this point we are quite open to ideas and suggestions, however. We have been in the process of setting up files in XML, and have established artists and writers in place already, we just need one or more programmers now to tie it all together.

I am MORE than willing to answer any and all questions anyone may have, so feel free to drop me a line anytime.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:02 AM

You gave me negative rep because people aren't responding to your post? :dontgetit:

Is there any specific API or engine you will be using? Will it be cross-platform? How many programmers do you have at the moment, and what type roles and responsibilities will any programmer that joins be expected to take on? Also, are there any requirements as far as experience goes? Perhaps offering positions to people just getting their feet wet in the world of game programming will generate in more interest.

This post has been edited by lesPaul456: 20 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

View PostlesPaul456, on 20 April 2010 - 08:02 AM, said:

You gave me negative rep because people aren't responding to your post? :dontgetit:

Is there any specific API or engine you will be using? Will it be cross-platform? How many programmers do you have at the moment, and what type roles and responsibilities will any programmer that joins be expected to take on? Also, are there any requirements as far as experience goes? Perhaps offering positions to people just getting their feet wet in the world of game programming will generate in more interest.

To clarify, my positive/negative responses was based on the general nature of the reply, and not the level of response or activity. It was not meant as personal, just honest. I also hadn't intended that it impact your reputation.

I am an artist, and not a programmer, so up front I'll state my understanding here is somewhat limited. So far, we are quite open as to what engine is used. Both C++ and Irrlicht have been discussed as a possibility, though not solidly defined. The intent is to develop the game primarily for Windows, though functionality in Linux and/or Mac would be a welcome addition if practical and possible. At the moment we do not have a programmer, as our previous programmer ran into an unexpected conflict-of-interest issue and was regrettably forced to withdraw. The role of any programmer(s) in the project will be as part of the design and development process as well as doing the necessary programming that needs to be implemented. The programmer(s) will work closely with the writers and artists to develop and create content.

As for level of experience, if a programmer believes he has the skill sets and knowledge to make this happen, then whether novice or expert you're welcome to be a part of this project. This is not a flight of fancy, but is indeed a serious project with an expected goal in mind. One based as much on the desire to create a financially viable property as the desire to create a truly enjoyable game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

View PostBlack_Knyght, on 20 April 2010 - 10:41 AM, said:

To clarify, my positive/negative responses was based on the general nature of the reply, and not the level of response or activity. It was not meant as personal, just honest. I also hadn't intended that it impact your reputation.

That's what the green plus and red minus buttons are, reputation. If you press the green plus button, that person's reputation will increase by one, and decrease by one if you press the red minus button.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

I'm a programmer and not an artist...which requires often that I pay attention to syntax, spelling, and read A LOT of examples. One thing I found very useful was this post. This goes through the ins and outs of it all, and it's not like I had to search for it as it is stickied to the top... :basecase:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

I'm going to state it outright: Basic problem, you want programmers to program for no pay.

Programmers gotta eat too...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:31 PM

That's actually a highly incorrect assessment!

Yes - any programmer involved would not get paid UNTIL the product is developed. Neither will the artists (like myself), the writers, the content director, the GUI developer, the project coordinator, etc.

No - programmers are not expected to program for no pay. Any programmer(s) involved will absolutely be paid once the product is developed! As will the artists (like myself), the writers, the content director, the GUI developer, the project coordinator, etc.

This detail was openly put out, up front, in order to clarify the nature of the project. That is also why we stated "enlisting you to assist" as opposed to "hiring". I can certainly understand a programmer's need and desire to be paid for his efforts. I have them too, as an artist who also needs to eat and works on paid assignments or commissions. I am also well aware of the potential for financial gain here, based on my own personal discussions with the people from the gaming company interested in this project.

To simply state - this is an opportunity for an interested programmer to do some spare-time programming for a project that will have the benefit of financial recompense when it's completed and a no pressure deadline/timeline until it is.

As to the matter of whether or not I followed the proper formatting used in approaching the potential programmers here, I apologize. I am not a programmer, I am an artist, and used to a very different and less structured approach in matters such as this. The intent here was simply to present an opportunity based on a need.

This post has been edited by Black_Knyght: 20 April 2010 - 04:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

Right, you are not a programmer, so you probably do not know that there are countless requests for people seeking a programmer to lay the foundation for something that might possibly, in the future, when it's completed, after a few years, bring in some sort of financial compensation for the time involved.

It's not a bad thing to be aspiring, but it is also better to be realistic about the whole effort. Personally I have committed time with a group that wanted to make a game while I was attending classes. For two semesters we (I) planned every aspect. We (I) went around trying to get everyone together on a basic idea, an engine to utilize, planning who would do what, because everyone seemed genuinely committed to a group project to show off upon graduation...and in the end it just was not worth the trouble of trying to get everyone together for Halo 2 was released and everyone's priorities magically switched...

I even believe there was a group project going on here a while back but don't think that ever panned out. The fact is a lot of people have been burned out by group aspirations, and like me, have just went at it alone because there is soooo much more progression, agreement, and commitment for something tangible.

Please don't take it as people here are trying to be mean...but the issue has been pointed out, not only in the link I posted (that is a sticky), but has been touched on several times about trying to put a team together. Just think of it as people here trying to hand you a realistic approach to "enlisting" someone to lay framework down with an idea that really hasn't even been announced as even a vague explanation for something that requires their assistance (in doing all of the base work).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

I can certainly understand that. Being an artist isn't radically different than being a programmer, just a different medium. Both require specific skill sets that the other would find difficult if not impossible to master. :wink:

I've actually been involved in a few projects myself, and I too have had my own fair share of unreasonable situations and disappointments, having wasted time doing artwork for a project that never went anywhere. And I know all to well the countless requests for people seeking a artist to do work for this grand idea or that.

And again - If this sounds interesting, just send an email and you'll get all the information and details you'll want or need. If it doesn't, it's a fairly simple thing to move on to the next thread. This situation is pretty simple and straightforward, and the worst anyone would be out in this is the effort of an email.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1