5 Replies - 2283 Views - Last Post: 29 April 2010 - 04:43 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Planeswalker
  • member icon

• View blog

New game programming challenge

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:49 PM

There is a new game programming challenge at Game Institute. Things are a little different for this challenge. There is no theme, the game can be 2D or 3D, written in any language. The one constraint is that your entry isn't a game that you've been previously working on. It must be an original game thought up and made over the next 6 weeks. You don't have to be a Game Institute student to enter, you just need to register an account, which is free. There is no price other than bragging rights. If you are interested, visit Game Institute.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New game programming challenge

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New game programming challenge

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:53 AM

The coffee just isn't doing the trick today. Where on the site is a link to the challenge? I am interested on reading up on it, but can't find it on their site. Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Planeswalker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:41 AM

You will have to register before you can get to the page. Once you've registered you can go to:

http://www.gameinsti.../challenges.php

I will also add, the 2 judges will give you a report card for your game. This would be good as you get feedback on your game so you can improve it and possibly publish it down the road. There are two judges, their scores will be averaged, and the scoring break down is as follows:

• 40% programming skill
  • 40% game design
  • 10% game assets
  • 10% judges bonus

The judges stress above all they are looking for a fun game. It doesn't have to be 100% complete, a good demo would be enough to show your game idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

Thanks and good luck! I have entered too although I am not sure what kind of competition I can offer you :surrender:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

I wish this competition would start in 2 weeks instead of now :( Otherwise I would totally be in, but I have finals next week so I won't be able to do anything but study for the next 2 weeks! Oh well maybe next competition.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Planeswalker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

They try and 4 or 5 challenges a year. They are anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks long with a 4 or 5 break in between challenges. If somebody has an idea they should give it a try, the feedback will let them know what they can improve as well, the judges gave me some ideas on other things I could have added to my game to make it more interesting and fun.

I haven't really had a chance to start my entry. Been fighting migrain headaches for a week now. Staring at computer screens doesn't help that much. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1