10 Replies - 1611 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What to do next? Server and Subdomains

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Hi there guys hes the story so far.

I have Installed Centos 5.3 server on to my desktop machine.
I then installed Plesk Control panel 8.3.

My server is now fully functional and running on the local area network with static IP 192.168.1.112
the domain is setup as server.com and I have ajusted the HOST file on the laptop i use to access my server.
I manually created a subdomain (subdomain.server.com) and then altered the host file on my laptop again.

Now firstly Do I have to keep editing HOST files on my laptop or can I program the server to handle requests to it. E.g. Client on LAN goes to http://server.com and is shown the correct index.html page without having to edit the HOST FILE. Or am i getting massivly confused?

The second problem is I need to be able to automate the subdomain creation on plesk. E.g. I want a user to be able to create the subdomain simply by filling out a form(they have access to nothing else), the script will then handle the rest. Im just looking for some pointers of where to look and what to learn next, also if anyone know about plesks reseller/automated services etc let me know.

Thanks alot.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What to do next? Server and Subdomains

• Java Enthusiast
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What to do next? Server and Subdomains

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:02 AM

well does your server have a web.config file? If so you want to program the server to update that file when ever someone fills out the forum. Also I went to server.com and noticed it is a Godaddy page. You want it to send all traffic to your server right? Well if that is the log into your Godaddy account scroll over domains click manage your domains and then click the little 'D' next to server.com and click More Settings then under total DNS click manage and then type your IP in the '@' record.

I am assuming you have already changed your router settings to redirect all port 80 requests to your laptop. If you haven't I can guide you through that too but that will be a little harder since not all routers are the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

Thanks Glorfindal but I think I may have confused the situation. I do not own the Address server.com I have simply changed the HOST file on my vista laptop:
C:/System32/driver/etc/ bla bla bla

So that everytime I type in server.com in my browser it is directed to my server @ 192.168.1.112. Thus appearing as if i own the domain.

When I DONT change the Host file and navigate to 192.168.1.112 I end up viewing the plesk/server Default page. I just wondered if I am barking up an invisible tree by trying to recreate this on my LAN rather than on the Web. I believe my issues may lie with DHCP settings etc......

So from what your saying, if I owned server.com for example I could just point the domain to my server and it would all work hunky dory.

I guess maybe im getting a little confused, Im pretty new to all this server lark lol DNS, DHCP ??

Thanks again
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Java Enthusiast
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

Yes you would point it to your IP address which you can find out by googling what is my ip and going to one the results which will tell you your ip. But if you want your server public you need to buy your own domain and follow the instructions I gave you will also have to make sure that your router (if you have one) fowards all port 80 requests to your computer which you can do by typing in your routers IP into the browser bar and then logging in with the password your internet service provider gave you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for your time :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Java Enthusiast
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

So did you fix it? If so could you add a rep?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:25 AM

I added you plus one, Maybe if you have any spare time could you make a tutorial on how to set up router for a server? Would be a very helpfull tutorial. And that will be my next stage after i have done testing locally :P !

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

Each router is different. Either post the model or check Google. There are TONS of walktroughs with screen shots.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:43 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 10 May 2010 - 06:33 PM, said:

Each router is different. Either post the model or check Google. There are TONS of walktroughs with screen shots.

Yup thanks buddy just being lazy :P, havnt quite got that far yet still setting everything up locally for now, but i'll be sure to post if google dosnt proove fruitful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:26 AM

Just letting you guys know ive sorted it all out. I set up the server on LAN succesfully. I then pointed my domain name towards my routers WAN Address by login in and changing the DNS settings as suggested. I then finished off by configuring the appropriate port forwarding on my router so that traffic get routed to my server. Thanks again for your help guys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

Glad you got it working :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +