6 Replies - 6797 Views - Last Post: 24 July 2006 - 08:13 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

FTP Link between 2 XP Pro PCs linked by crossover cable

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:50 PM

I've got two PCs, both running XP Pro. One is a small Pentium M single board computer (SBC) that controls an underwater camera system. This system runs on battery power and collects images of small marine organisms using a digital camera and strobe. I link to it with a laptop computer via a crossover Cat5 Ethernet cable and Remote Desktop Connection.

The digital camera on the underwater unit collects thousands of images that are each 2.8MB in size. Transferring them to the laptop via the RDC link is very slow so I'm exploring using ftp instead. The link is a 100Mb/s connection.

I installed Filezilla Server on the SBC and Filezilla client on the laptop. The underwater SBC has a fixed IP address of 130.39.100.100 (subnet 255.255.252.0) and the laptop has the same subnet with an IP of 130.39.100.101.

The problem is that the laptop cannot connect to the SBC. The default IP address used by the Filezilla server is 127.0.0.1, which appears to be a loopback IP used to administer the server. My question is, how do I configure the Filezilla server so that the laptop can find it and link to it? I want to use anonymous login (security isn't an issue with just the two systems linked via the crossover cable). I'm having difficulty getting the system to link to the Server.

Any ideas on where within the Filezilla server, I configure it so that it associates itself with an IP address that the laptop can find?

The system is out on a ship at the moment so help with this question will really be useful! Right now our downloads are taking 4-7 h!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: FTP Link between 2 XP Pro PCs linked by crossover cable

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: FTP Link between 2 XP Pro PCs linked by crossover cable

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:45 AM

researching your problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:51 AM

I think you may be making this a bit more complicated then it needs to be.

The limiting factor will be the 100baseT connection. I assume that you have local admin rights to both computers. Share out the folder the images are located on the camera box and map a network drive to that share. Would probally be your best bet. It will take the RDC connection out of the loop and possibly allow for faster transfers. ( just copy from the share and paste on the laptop )

If you need more speed I would seriously suggest gigabit ethernet cards in both the laptop and in the camera box with an appropriate cross over cable

http://logout.sh/com...rs/net/gigabit/ (pin outs for making a gigabit crossover cable)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, a 100baseT network isnt slow by any means though, I mean personally I can transfer 4GB disk images to my file server in a matter of a few minutes, so if it's taking 4 to 7 hours to transfer these pictures, eather your transfering just un-comprehendable amounts of data or something is slowing it down, I'm guessing the RDC.

The folder share is a great option, if for some reason you really want to run a web ( or in this case Intranet ) server on the camera box, look into Abyss Web Server, thats what I run on my file server at home ( http://cerebellum.dnsdojo.org:2500 if you want to take a look ) and it works great.

Otherwise mapping a shared folder is definately reliable on Windoze.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:58 PM

Thanks a lot for the ideas. I'll try mapping the network drive from the camera computer to the laptop. We've tried transferring via the Microsoft Windows Network (both computers are part of the same workgroup). That was slow. Ironically, the RDC transfer proved to be the fastest.

I'll map the network drive and explore transfer speeds with RDC disconnected.

Is there a relationship between the transfer speed and the number of files to be to be transferred via Windows? Writing 1-5 files is quite rapid in terms of individual file transfer times. When you have 20 or more, the per file transfer time drops off substantially.

Again, Thorian and MarkoDaGeek, I appreciate your time and ideas!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:01 PM

I'd love to have a gigabit link between the two. Right now that isn't possible because the single board computer in the underwater housing has only one PCI slot. I have a gigabit NIC in there and it's a dedicated link to the digital camera using a high-speed driver specifically for that link. The only other built-in ethernet port on the SBC is a 100Mb/s link. The next SBC I will use will definitely have on-board gigabit plus a PCI-X connector (EPIC-Express format) when it comes out. Until then, I'll have to do the best I can with the existing Ethernt link.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:13 AM

View Postzoovis, on 21 Jul, 2006 - 01:50 PM, said:

Thanks a lot for the ideas. I'll try mapping the network drive from the camera computer to the laptop. We've tried transferring via the Microsoft Windows Network (both computers are part of the same workgroup). That was slow. Ironically, the RDC transfer proved to be the fastest.

I'll map the network drive and explore transfer speeds with RDC disconnected.

Is there a relationship between the transfer speed and the number of files to be to be transferred via Windows? Writing 1-5 files is quite rapid in terms of individual file transfer times. When you have 20 or more, the per file transfer time drops off substantially.

Again, Thorian and MarkoDaGeek, I appreciate your time and ideas!

Also how long is the crossover cable?

It just occored to me that the one computer could be at the bottom of the ocean.

99 meters is the end limit to how long a ethernet cable can be. between 2 devices with out a repeter
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1