14 Replies - 3989 Views - Last Post: 25 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Sell your iPod Touch 3g 32gb for a Nook?

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:28 PM

What do you all know about the nook? I am trying to find out about the browser and all of the other features. I like reading and doing research on .pdf's for my online classes at AIU. A .pdf is much easier/more convenient than a physical book.

Is the 3g free? How is the browser? Can it be hacked?

I would try and get about 250 out of my iPod on ebay and then get the nook.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Sell your iPod Touch 3g 32gb for a Nook?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Sell your iPod Touch 3g 32gb for a Nook?

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

Post keeps getting views but no responses. If you think im crazy please say so. Or is it that nook is so new that not many know about it yet?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

According to the website 3g is free. No idea on anything else, never used it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

View PostSpeedisaVirus, on 23 May 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

Yeah I saw that; but free is kinda weird to me. I never heard of free 3g before. Gotta be a catch to it. Contract or some crap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

View Postbocaccio, on 23 May 2010 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostSpeedisaVirus, on 23 May 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

Yeah I saw that; but free is kinda weird to me. I never heard of free 3g before. Gotta be a catch to it. Contract or some crap.

I think it's free with the realization that you can only use it for relatively light browsing (eg. wikipedia). If the Nook is anything like the Kindle you aren't going to be watching streaming video on it anytime soon...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

I called b and n and asked them about it. the free 3g is primarily for the b and n site to purchase more books. You can use wifi with it however. And it uses android os so i expect improvements all the time as android is pretty big. Also, I'm sure there are ways around anything on it. I saw on some site that someone had a fb app for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

I have been doing research on the nook. there is a hack for it. But the new os on the link given is proof that the hack is a waste of time!!
If you are thinking of a nook; look at the link. Good stuff!!

New OS for the Nook
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:07 PM

Yeah, I assume they can offer free 3g through the profits on the e-books. Think how little it costs them to distribute them yet it seems $10 isn't that far out from a norm in pricing. How much bandwidth do you think you use to download that $10 book? Good profit margin there I imagine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

View PostSpeedisaVirus, on 23 May 2010 - 06:07 PM, said:

Yeah, I assume they can offer free 3g through the profits on the e-books. Think how little it costs them to distribute them yet it seems $10 isn't that far out from a norm in pricing. How much bandwidth do you think you use to download that $10 book? Good profit margin there I imagine.

Too bad I'll buy/download little to NO books from barnes and nobles. I'd use it for the .pdf docs i can download from University of Phoenix's library. I got an associates in networking from there so i have access to .edu email, books, and library.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

If i remember right the 3g is through AT&T so its only 3g in the limited areas that AT&T has 3g. The only real difference that I've seen between the Kindle and nook are a bit more screen size and the wifi, otherwise IMO its not worth the extra like 250ish bucks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

View Postrgfirefly24, on 23 May 2010 - 07:33 PM, said:

If i remember right the 3g is through AT&T so its only 3g in the limited areas that AT&T has 3g. The only real difference that I've seen between the Kindle and nook are a bit more screen size and the wifi, otherwise IMO its not worth the extra like 250ish bucks.

I haven't sold my iPod yet. But I am thinking I could put the nook to some real use. I'll wait a few more days or see what kinda responses on craigslist too to get my decision. I hear alot of positive stuff about Android os though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

There is some hacks for these eReaders, as for the nook, not too sure, but I know on one of them, you can hack it so you can browse the internet and do all the jazz with it with the free 3g.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

View PostIngeniousHax, on 24 May 2010 - 12:40 PM, said:

There is some hacks for these eReaders, as for the nook, not too sure, but I know on one of them, you can hack it so you can browse the internet and do all the jazz with it with the free 3g.

Yup. I found one some dev team. I won't go into detail on here as I'm sure it is frowned upon to discuss such things. But yes If i resort to that it would be a good reason to have it. The iPod Touch has got kind of boring. I think the nook would have more uses especially with a bigger screen. I already have a 8gb sd card. So I'd have 10gb instead of the inital 2gb. And I have a few gb's of e books and have unlimited access to edu books at univ of phoenix library online. I think it would be worth it for me. Now just gotta get rid of my iPod Touch.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

there actually is an official browser for the nook in beta. Perhaps there is something missing in that as far as the 'free' goes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

View PostSpeedisaVirus, on 24 May 2010 - 09:18 PM, said:

there actually is an official browser for the nook in beta. Perhaps there is something missing in that as far as the 'free' goes.

When I called barnes and noble they told me that the free 3g is only for barnes and noble web site to purchase e books. But I have heard of a 3rd party browser that will go to whatever site you choose.

To determine if i buy it; I'll have to find out if i can view "protected" adobe files on it or now. When I download books from univ of phoenix web site they are protected. This means I have to use my student user and pass to access them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1