GameGroove Gaming Community - get your game on!

I am looking to grow this site into a sociable gaming community!

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 1373 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2010 - 01:04 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

GameGroove Gaming Community - get your game on!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:28 AM

Hello everybody,

Go ahead and check out my website: GameGroove Gaming Community - Come get your Game On and tell me what you think. I know it probably isn't that great yet and there is only 3 members so far but I am looking to grow this into more then just a gaming website like the rest of them as I am looking for more ways then just one to keep it unique and interesting to gamers out there! Now I know there are tons of other sites out that that do something similar but I feel that a social gaming network would be more interesting along with a few other tricks up my sleeve that have not yet been fully implemented. There are also still alot of things I need to work out, fix, and add to with most of it still under contsruction and the design is merely a template at the moment but eventually I want to modify everything including the CSS when I learn more to make it more unique. Anyways, have at it, make fun of it, whichever, and if you have any ideas, suggestions, or whatnot, then please by all means let me know but please keep it constructive criticism if you do, thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: GameGroove Gaming Community - get your game on!

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GameGroove Gaming Community - get your game on!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:33 AM

Well the head banner there is pretty awesome. Whoever did the graphic did a fantastic job. I like the general color scheme and looks very retro game like but still modern with the smooth black gradients. So stick with that. The two things that really get to me about the site is the lack of organization of content (buttons hanging out in the middle of no where, stuff like the donation button just stuck in there and your forums link is buried in your menu). Perhaps some of these problems is because I am on a wide screen. Keep in mind that most of your gamers will probably be on wide screens if not multiple screens so make sure it looks great. The second thing that bothers me is the wide borders around things. Especially in your forums where it is choking your page out a bit. Go easy on borders that are larger than 2px. The focus should be on the content and the presentation should just accent that.

Other than that, looks pretty kick ass and I would consider returning in the future.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the input, I greatly appreciate it. The graphic is actually my own design. I designed it specifically to what you just mentioned and that was what I had in mind when I made it so glad to hear that it stands for something.

Now for the 2-3 problems you mentioned...

I noticed you said it had a wide screen. My screen is a 16" widescreen on a laptop that I bought for gaming recently this year. Is there any way you could take a screenshot or better explain to me what the problem is? Are you meaning that it's the whole site is too wide or? I'd really like to find out more because on my screen it looks fine but as you said, others it is not. I haven't exactly figured out yet how to make the borders smaller without making it look worse yet either.

Also, when you say lack of content and organization is a problem what would you do to change it? I'd like to make it more attractive but I need input and help on how to do so. The site is a mix of html/java/css and other coding and is fully customizable behind it all I just haven't learned enough of the coding for it to change it further then what it is now. I thought about moving the links in the Site Menu to buttons across the bottom but there's just way too many links that it would ruin the look and the content covered would be hard to condense without compromising everything. Now if you mean by content that there isn't much of anything to read or look at, that is because I just started the site not to long ago and have yet to find much help on getting it going.

For the donations button, I thought about moving it to a box on the side but then it might look worse or where would you recommend I put it? In another link on a separate page or? I haven't really quite figured out where it would look better at. I just had it in there just incase someone wanted to help fund the site, etc, so I figured somewhere on the main page would be best.

Anyways, again, thanks for the input you've given me on it and I will look into it more to make it look better in the future as I learn more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Guest_Joshua*

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

I think this site has a lot of potential with definite use and Function in it
now i'm not logged in at the moment (on my iPhone) but if you want help with the CSS just message my user. It is josh06 and I'll be glad to help you (:

Great site man, just needs sorting in terms of organisation and width.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:54 PM

Okay, cool, yea, thanks, I'd appreciate any help on it that I can get to where I get to learn how to make it better and such.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:04 AM

Not a fan of the design so far, though it does have potential that can be used.

Designs should stick to a max of 3 colors for newer designers, you'll know when it's appropriate to use more when you've had some years of experience, but even then that rule still tends to stick.

As far as the banner, it needs to be shorter and the nav in the left should be horizontal below with the welcome message or above. That part is fine but the black bow is bad, trash it and just use plain fonts instead on the background, nothing gives away a new designer like boxes around everything, make sure to avoid this when possible.

As with colors its also very much recommended to use only 2-3 fonts: a header font, a navigation font (optional), and a regular text font. The header is the safest to use fancy fonts with while main content is best left to the standards.

Line-height and white space is another thing to take into consideration to help the flow and readability of the site. Most of the content is far far too close together.

In summary you need to work on spacing, font choice, and number of colors used.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1