what should i read meanwhile?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 2213 Views - Last Post: 14 July 2010 - 02:39 PM Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_tom*

waiting for a c# learning book

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:38 AM

hey,
i'm about to start learning C# and since i dont want to be doing it with ebooks and stuff like that cause i cant really focus while reading things on the computer, i've decided to order a book from amazon.
i ordered Learnin C# 3.0 by Jesse Liberty (its an Oreilly book if you guys aren't familiar with it). since i live in Israel it will take a while till the book will arrive, and after speaking to them over the phone they estimated that it will arrive on july 28.
i feel that if i'll just sit back and wait for the book i'll be wasting 'precious' time, so i thought i ought to be reading some articles meanwhile.
i dont have any programming experience... i only know HTML, and i've read a couple of articles on MSDN about OOP and the basics of .NET.
do you guys have any suggestions till i get the book? what should i be reading? i dont mind downloading an ebook and glancing at it just to get the idea of a certain language till the book arrives. what should it be? SQL ? ASP.NET? articles about C# or OOP maybe?

i'm really lost and desperate to read something in the meantime, so any answer would be deeply appreciated.
if you could refer me to a specific book or an article, that would be great.
cheers! :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: waiting for a c# learning book

#2 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: waiting for a c# learning book

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:40 AM

How about our C# Tutorials section. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:49 AM

Specifically, these tutorials might help:
http://www.dreaminco...ister-part-one/
http://www.dreaminco...ister-part-two/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 Guest_tom*

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 12 July 2010 - 05:40 AM, said:

How about our C# Tutorials section. :)

hi
first of all thank you for your quick response :)

so let me get you straight, you're suggesting that i'll go through c# tutorials on "how to xxx" w/o knowing the syntax? :omg:
from a quick scan i did see a couple of basic tutorials which could be useful, but ill finish reading them in a couple of hours...
isnt there something that i can learn while waiting for the book? i mean i have like 2 weeks, thats a lot...

thanks again
Was This Post Helpful? 0

#5 Guest_tom*

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

View PostinsertAlias, on 12 July 2010 - 05:49 AM, said:

hey, didnt see your post cause i was replying to the first guy

sorry for the double post, cant edit as a guest so i'll bother making an account :whistling:
anyhow please read what i wrote to the first guy - dont you guys think i should focus on something bigger during this time?
Was This Post Helpful? 0

#6 macosxnerd101   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

That's why they're called tutorials. Choose a project, read over some tutorials, get your hands dirty coding. It's the best way to learn. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:58 AM

Here's Microsoft's own Intro to C#:
http://msdn.microsof...y/bb330928.aspx

This post has been edited by insertAlias: 12 July 2010 - 06:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

View PostinsertAlias, on 12 July 2010 - 05:58 AM, said:

Here's Microsoft's own Intro to C#:
http://msdn.microsof...y/bb330928.aspx

okay im the original poster, this is the account that i opened.
first id like to thank everybody for the quick replies, didnt believe i'll get such quick answers :flowers:

insertAlias - i have already read the articles in MSDN, thanks though.
macosxnerd101 - hmmm, maybe i misunderstood you guys; how can i learn projects (building a calculator for instance) without knowing the syntax of the language? it just doesnt seem right to me...
but obviously you guys know way more than i do so im sure theres a point in what you're saying, so if that is your suggestion then i'll jump into it straight away!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 macosxnerd101   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:13 AM

You don't choose something that big, necessarily from the start, or you at least scale down the project to a reasonable level. Start playing around with the syntax and libraries. Learn what you can, then start on the project. You'll feel your way around as you work on the project. And don't forget that DIC is an awesome place to come if you get stumped on your code. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

At this point, I'm not sure what you want. That MSDN link will teach you the syntax of the language. If you have already read it, you should know enough syntax to attempt some of the more basic tutorials.

The very best way to learn C# is to jump right in headfirst. You won't break anything, don't worry. Grab yourself a copy of Visual C# Express and write a few programs. Once you get the Hello World stuff done, learn how to read and write from a text file.

Learn to use IntelliSense to your benefit. If you are unsure of what a class or object does, page through the intellisense popup to see it's methods and members. And keep going back to the MSDN.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. I've been using C# for 5 years...I don't keep current on beginner tutorials.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:30 AM

okay thanks you 2, thats what i'll do i guess...

and btw, i think you didnt really get my question :P my plan was to study the language and the syntax when i get the book, and till i get it i was thinking i should learn the concept of the language, maybe read about OOP, databases etc. (background and stuff like that that will make learning c# easier basically).
but if you guys dont think that its necessary then ill just skip it and go straight ahead to c#
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 macosxnerd101   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

Theory is great, but memorizing syntax is a terrible way to go. You'll get frustrated and bored quickly. Plus, the only way you'll learn it is to use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

You really can't separate the "concept of the language" from the syntax. I'm not even sure what you mean by that.

I could link you to the wikipedia article on OOP, or to some website teaching SQL and RDBMS concepts, but it would be a little overwhelming if you don't have your basic foundation, and you get that from working with the language. If the C# book is any good, it will teach you OOP concepts as it teaches you the language.

Database stuff is very important, but much of it is really its own field. C# books and tutorials will teach you how to connect to DBs and read from/write to them, but they typically won't teach you important concepts about DB structure. That kind of stuff you would need a DB book/tutorial, specific to the DB you choose to use.

This post has been edited by insertAlias: 12 July 2010 - 07:39 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:50 AM

look i honestly had good intentions :whistling: i thought that if i'll read articles about the theoretical aspect of the language then i'll have an easier time in the future.

so yeah, ill just start playing with it and reading guides from the tutorial sections just like you people told me to.

thanks again guys, and i'll definitely come back for further assistance!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

Ok try the simplest thing possible, and then move it up a notch.

For example, lets make an application that takes your name and tells you what your name is.

So on the form, create a textbox and a button.

Double click the button to get into the code.

in there type:

string name = textBox1.Text;

string message = "Your name is: " + name;

MessageBox.Show(message);

it should look like this:

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
    string name = textBox1.Text;

string message = "Your name is: " + name;

MessageBox.Show(message);
}

Now, take a look at those three lines, do you understand what each does?

A string is basically text, it's an array of characters...'strung' together, hence the name string.

The textBox1 is the name of the text box, you put a period and then can choose from functions, events and properties it has - don't worry about what these are, just know that putting .Text gets you the text from it.

If you want a number, the most common ones are called integers, or ints, to get an int though you need to convert the 'text' to a number, you do this like this:

int number = int.Parse(text);

So

int number = int.Parse("15");

Guess what number equals?

Why not try a simple addition program.. make two text boxes, name them txt1 and txt2, and then add a final box and name it txtAnswer

Then try this:

int a = int.Parse(txt1.Text);
int b = int.Parse(txt2.Text);
int c = a + b;
txtAnswer.Text = c.ToString();

Remember, c is a number, and text boxes need text, so we have to convert it back from a number to text, so.. we do.. number.ToString();

I hope these can help you until the book arrives, and though most people wont condone downloading an ebook, I say go for it, just whilst you wait..

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +