9 Replies - 2070 Views - Last Post: 20 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

#1 Guest_John Lynch*

MY WEBSITE

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:25 AM

HI

I have built a site using OFfice Live. I chose it because of its ease of use. Its all cut and paste really although I have been able to add HTML on a few of the pages and some you tube embemded code links

I'm in the process of uploading each of my 1700 members details on to the site which will take a little time.

Please take a look and let me know if you like what you see or could the look and design be made better with a few hints and tips and tools of the trade

Regards
Johnny Lynch
http://thelynchmobagency.co.uk

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: MY WEBSITE

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: MY WEBSITE

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:21 AM

I like it. Defiantly not the most stylist website out there but it's pretty good. A few things though.
  • Change your link color for the body of the page, it's impossible to read
  • Add a background color to the rollover of your navigational links
  • "We We are an Online Casting Agency for Actors" (First sentence)
  • On your history page, either change the color (gold) to something more readable or add more vertical spacing
  • On your "Future/Jobs" page I would have it so you have the name of the name of the part in gold and then the requirements for that part in another color.

Didn't have time to go through every page but I hope that helps.

Good Luck,
Daniel

This post has been edited by danielair: 13 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

Hey Daniel

Thanks for your tips. I have made the changes and thanks for the typo error.

Regards
Johnny

This post has been edited by johnnydives: 13 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:50 PM

I've cleaned it up a little over night. But would still like a couple more reviews. I've exhausted the limitations of the site builder.

What I would really like is the facility for all the people on my site to be able to be able to change there own profile and upload there own images.

A nice flash intro of our logo would be good but I'm finding hard on a easy way to do this. I use Photoshop for the usually manipulation of images but just basic stuff really.

Regards
Johnny

This post has been edited by johnnydives: 13 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

ok now its not the best website out there but its not the worst. One thing i noticed was that when i click a link on the left side bar everything seems to move to a random spot. Try and fix it so that all of the webpages have the same positioned background and links and everything. Just a suggestion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

Hmmm.. a Good point raised by baseball435 there.

Making use of Style Sheets and a standard template set would make your site a little more coherent, and the "flow" from one page to another would improve.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of all dark/black websites, but only because it hurts my eyes. But otherwise a good site.

I'd gave ya an 7/10, add some formal structure and I'd give ya 8/10. ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

Some of those images are nasty:
On the splash page I wonder why the left half of the page is crisp and high-res and the right hand site looks pixelly and crappy? Keep consistent quality images - just one low-res or badly cut out photo can make the whole site look cheap.

You have a problem with a few of the images (like the green tick bullet points) where the picture is cut out from something with a white background or you've saved an image with transparency incorrectly. This leaves halos of white around the images which looks really scrappy.

What's the point of your splash page? It's just one image that people have to wait to load then click to get past. Unless it's going to do something like direct the visitor to different sites (which I don't understand either) I'd vote for getting rid of it completely.

Overall I think it looks too harsh against the black background.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

Wow thanks for the comments everyone. I have started to clean up the points brought up by baseball cheers for that. To be honest I had noticed myself but would always start to tweak something else but will get to the other pages on the site soon.

Cheers to Saldash for the vote of confidence. Not my thing website building I will be the first to admit but encouraged. Its amazing what some sites look like but with my experience I'm happy I guess.

Hey Moopet, Cheers for your constructive comments I'm going to keep the splash page for now as I really want a cool flash intro albeit I still have no idea how to make that yet but if you have any good resoureces where I could learn that would be great. I'm not even sure what you call that fade in stuff so not been able to do a search. I will also dig out some better quality green tick as well this evening.

Cheers everyone. Great to get all the comments.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

Look into PNGs that make use of Alpha Channels..
They can be resized by source, and still retain the transparency and quality.

My website's full of them :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

Mmmm ok I had a search on google last night but completely lost. I will have to get my head round this Saldash

Regards
Johnny
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1