Suggestions or Feedback?

Page 1 of 1

14 Replies - 1599 Views - Last Post: 22 July 2010 - 06:01 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

First Website Template Design

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

hello everyone, this is one of my first website templates i have made, it is for a friend who is making a game using unity3D. Its a space game and he wanted me to try and create a website template for him. Here's what i have, Feedback and suggestions would be great!

Posted Image

Here is my 3rd template I have made. I accidently forgot the 'L' in baseball in the footer but will fix later... (top logo i made)

Posted Image

This post has been edited by baseball435: 19 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: First Website Template Design

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: First Website Template Design

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

For a space game, I think it looks the part. I would go for lighter text, but that's just me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

View PostTheSoundOfTruth, on 19 July 2010 - 09:46 AM, said:

For a space game, I think it looks the part. I would go for lighter text, but that's just me.

yeah but space is a dark place with no knowing where your going
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

look below for my second

This post has been edited by baseball435: 19 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

True. But that doesn't change the fact that dark colors reduce legibility. Blue/Black looks nice, but you'd have to throw in white so its still readable. I would change the text to white, since White on black is very easy to read, and it matches the outline of the planet.

That's my two cents, but ultimately it's up to your friend.

Edit: Threads merged :S The second one looks much better!

This post has been edited by TheSoundOfTruth: 19 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

I went a head and merged these 2 threads, I dont think there's a need for multiple threads with templates, just keep them in a single thread :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

this is my second website template, tell me how it looks!

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

Merged (again). Please keep it in this thread and stoping making new threads ok :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:10 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 19 July 2010 - 10:07 AM, said:

Merged (again). Please keep it in this thread and stoping making new threads ok :)

ohh shoooott!! im sooo sorry, i thought someone deleted those two threads so i reposted it, i never ment to do that though. Sorryy wont happen again. And yeah i like the second one better. I wanna learn some ajax and JQuery and maybe javascript to get some like flash moving like website. But it seems complicated. Anyone got any good tutorials?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:15 AM

Be careful with Javascript, most web browsers kill it really quickly. Don't use it for important things like transactions (or if you do, have something else for an extra layer of protection)

This post has been edited by TheSoundOfTruth: 19 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

View PostTheSoundOfTruth, on 19 July 2010 - 10:15 AM, said:

Be careful with Javascript, most web browsers kill it really quickly. Don't use it for important things like transactions (or if you do, have something else for an extra layer of protection)

okay, well what about Jquery. I have seen a few websites that were made like all of jquery. Where would i learn that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

1 word as far as javascript: NO.

Do NOT use javascript to design anything when you start out, you only develop an addiction to flashy effects that only slow down the site and kill your traffic and user stay-time. Avoid it at all costs starting out or I guarantee you will regret it soon.

You're way way too happy in using gradients, keep it to a dead minimum. Gradients are also something to avoid as a beginner because it is, again, something newbies can seriously abuse and it becomes habit. Only use gradients to add depth, not as the base of your design. Unless your design can be clear without gradients you're abusing them. Gradients are meant to be accents, not base-level in design and never should be used as such.

Font should be applied via CSS which means that it will be aliased, which means you're safer with fonts such as verdana, arial, georgia, times new roman, and other simple fonts. This is something you have to learn about when you're getting seriously into coding.

To be put bluntly unless you can make a site with NO images using only CSS and HTML you still need work on coding. This type of designing will help you build habits of using the dead minimum as far as images which improves load time significantly.

Develop good habits now while you're starting because it'll be a nightmare to fix them later. I posted some links to design sites I believe in the development section, take a look into it, several of them could be of some serious help.

As another note though a good design takes me about 8-12 hours to finish easily, you should be spending at least 1-2 hours on each design you make as a bare minimum for practice, though at your level trying to mimic what I do it'd take more towards 20 hours because of the amount of time I spend doing speed work to improve my skills. (Also suggested)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

View PostLemur, on 19 July 2010 - 01:39 PM, said:

Do NOT use javascript to design anything when you start out, you only develop an addiction to flashy effects that only slow down the site and kill your traffic and user stay-time. Avoid it at all costs starting out or I guarantee you will regret it soon.

You're way way too happy in using gradients, keep it to a dead minimum. Gradients are also something to avoid as a beginner because it is, again, something newbies can seriously abuse and it becomes habit. Only use gradients to add depth, not as the base of your design. Unless your design can be clear without gradients you're abusing them. Gradients are meant to be accents, not base-level in design and never should be used as such.

Font should be applied via CSS which means that it will be aliased, which means you're safer with fonts such as verdana, arial, georgia, times new roman, and other simple fonts. This is something you have to learn about when you're getting seriously into coding.

To be put bluntly unless you can make a site with NO images using only CSS and HTML you still need work on coding. This type of designing will help you build habits of using the dead minimum as far as images which improves load time significantly.

Develop good habits now while you're starting because it'll be a nightmare to fix them later. I posted some links to design sites I believe in the development section, take a look into it, several of them could be of some serious help.

As another note though a good design takes me about 8-12 hours to finish easily, you should be spending at least 1-2 hours on each design you make as a bare minimum for practice, though at your level trying to mimic what I do it'd take more towards 20 hours because of the amount of time I spend doing speed work to improve my skills. (Also suggested)

Wow thank you for all the tips and help. Yes I've been told I'm kinda a little to fond of gradient, to me the normal colors look to plain, that's why I use gradients a lot. But yeah I think these took me about an hour and a half to make. I'm really into websites and have been for about 5-6 months but I still need to learn s lot. I already understand tables and divs and all that stuff. I just have to get down the graphic designing of the templates and slicing and exporting them into dreamweaver. Thanks for all that though (:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:33 AM

View Postbaseball435, on 20 July 2010 - 02:02 AM, said:

Wow thank you for all the tips and help. Yes I've been told I'm kinda a little to fond of gradient, to me the normal colors look to plain, that's why I use gradients a lot. But yeah I think these took me about an hour and a half to make. I'm really into websites and have been for about 5-6 months but I still need to learn s lot. I already understand tables and divs and all that stuff. I just have to get down the graphic designing of the templates and slicing and exporting them into dreamweaver. Thanks for all that though (:

Woah woah woah... wait a second.

I hope but slicing you do not mean (unfortunely there are a lot of tutorials that teach it) to slice up the whole thing and have Photoshop automatically convert it to "css"? Or even worse, tables?!

If so then here is what you should do: Make sure you are using as few images as possible (navigation should almost NEVER use images, as they are a pain to change and terrible for SEO purposes. Once you only need a few images, slice only them and use only them in the xhtml/css that YOU code yourself. No using Dreamweaver designer.

Far too many people use the automation tools. Firstly, using them you will learn nothing. Secondly, they are not good enough (maybe in the future, but unlikely) as the code they produce is disgusting.

Other than that, good luck!

This post has been edited by Shane Hudson: 22 July 2010 - 05:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:01 AM

View PostShane Hudson, on 22 July 2010 - 04:33 AM, said:

View Postbaseball435, on 20 July 2010 - 02:02 AM, said:

Woah woah woah... wait a second.

I hope but slicing you do not mean (unfortunely there are a lot of tutorials that teach it) to slice up the whole thing and have Photoshop automatically convert it to "css"? Or even worse, tables?!

If so then here is what you should do: Make sure you are using as few images as possible (navigation should almost NEVER use images, as they are a pain to change and terrible for SEO purposes. Once you only need a few images, slice only them and use only them in the xhtml/css that YOU code yourself. No using Dreamweaver designer.

Far too many people use the automation tools. Firstly, using them you will learn nothing. Secondly, they are not good enough (maybe in the future, but unlikely) as the code they produce is disgusting.

Other than that, good luck!

I learned this the hard way! The web page design curriculum at my school is so outdated that they teach us to layout sites using tables in DW's layout mode. I found out fast that the code it generates is all but usless after my tables collapsed to the right side of the page and couldn't be fixed due to the messy generated code. I now hand code my sites using CSS and html. No WYSIWYG's!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1