• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 4073 Views - Last Post: 01 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

#1 Guest_justin*

Netbook for dev

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

hello everyone.

Okay so this is my question.

Is anyone here doing their development work on a net-book. I love net-books a but iam not sure whether i will be able to develop applications on it.

Please help,
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Netbook for dev

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Netbook for dev

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

My personal opinion - netbooks are not development machines. At all, mainly because of limited performance and small size. If you want to develop software, I'd say at least get a powerful laptop.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:37 AM

I have light weight software on my netbook, like notepad++, and I do a little website dev on it. Anything more serious though I usually use my regular laptop. I wouldn't say you need a top-of-the-line machine to develop software, just enough to run the IDEs and software you are creating.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

You won't reasonably develop large scale applications and expect them to compile in reasonable time. For coursework or smaller personal projects it will work fine. If you are developing for a remote system this is all a non issue as long as it runs your development software. My bigger beef is that the keyboards tend to be small and the lack of screen space can be a real buzz kill when looking over a larger document or source file.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

I hate netbooks and I couldn't stand using one for more than about 30 minutes so I would say not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

I used to do a lot of stuff on my netbook, mainly Java with Eclipse as my IDE. A desktop is MUCH better but it's certainly possible on a netbook.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Baller

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

Um I can't fathom why I was voted down for giving a well informed response that comes from experience developing with a netbook in both windows and *nix environments.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

View PostCore, on 26 July 2010 - 09:57 AM, said:

My personal opinion - netbooks are not development machines. At all, mainly because of limited performance and small size. If you want to develop software, I'd say at least get a powerful laptop.

I agree. I get annoyed with such a small keyboard. Not a huge deal for mainly getting on DIC and testing posted code, surfing the net, a little dabbling, but I wouldn't do any serious programming on it for reasons mentioned above: size and limited processing power.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

What kind of netbooks are we talking about? What kind of applications are you guys trying to compile?

I have an Asus 1005ha upgraded to 2gb ram. It's got a dual-core Atom 1.6ghz processor. I use it as my development machine when I'm not at my desktop. I would rather have this thing than a regular sized laptop, especially because of the ~8hr battery.

I use Emacs and QT Creator on Fedora linux mainly to do C/C++ and Java development. I used to have Windows XP on there and it ran fine with Eclipse and Bluej (two Java IDEs).

Valid complaints against netbooks IMO:
- Low resolution, mine is 1024x600.
- Compact keyboard layout.
- Weak Intel graphics on most netbooks.

If you're going to get one be sure to get one with a hard drive. My first netbook had a tiny SSD which led to me basically using it as a thin-client to my desktop.

...which leads me to another interesting point. If your netbook is too weak to compile whatever you're working on (highly doubtful) you could always remote into another machine and use your netbook as a thin client. Obviously this won't work if you don't have somewhere to remote into, or if your internet access is unreliable...

Also guys please don't use "I hate netbooks" as a reason for someone else not to get a netbook.

View PostSpeedisaVirus, on 26 July 2010 - 12:06 PM, said:

You won't reasonably develop large scale applications and expect them to compile in reasonable time.

Define large scale. Define reasonable time. What hardware are we talking about?

Do you recompile your entire application (eg. every source file) frequently?

Edit:
My school assignments are usually several thousand LOC, my game engine is ~12000 LOC. Maybe you're working with something really huge, but chances are you don't need to compile everything from scratch every single time. Compiling 2-3 object files and then linking everything is going to take a pretty consistent amount of time on any machine.

Edit:
SpeedisaVirus, modded you back up since I replied to you.

This post has been edited by Tom9729: 26 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

Also guys please don't use "I hate netbooks" as a reason for someone else not to get a netbook.

He's asking for people's opinions on netbooks for development. My opinion is that I hate netbooks and don't like doing any work on them. Especially development work as I find the netbook physically uncomfortable to work on.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Baller

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:05 PM

Large scale is subjective. I've compiled C on the netbook I used that takes 45 seconds or more that would compile on my desktop in 5 seconds or less. Stretch that to something larger, then it can start to be an inconvenience. I pretty much used it like was described above, working on much more powerful systems remotely. Which was fine, no compile time concerns when the back end has more cores than an apple farmer available, except the keyboard size and screen size can make it hard to work with. The keyboard on the 11.6" models actually isn't terribly bad. It's the smaller ones...maybe if you have really small hands that isn't a problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (cons :dic :head)

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

Everyone's standards are too high. My main desktop is a 3.66Ghz P4 with 1.5GB RAM. Things compile fine on it. I'm sure an Atom can compile things just fine too, just a bit slower. Somehow I doubt the OP will be compiling the Linux kernel, binutils, GCC and glibc.

The original question "Can a netbook be used for development?", well, you could use a Commodore 64 for development if you wanted to. All depends on how patient you are I guess.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Baller

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

I actually wrote a little something for my C64 recently so you absolutely can develop on one :bananaman:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

View Postprogramble, on 26 July 2010 - 11:14 AM, said:

Everyone's standards are too high.

We agree on something?!?! Hell just froze over :P

You can technically develop on anything, yes even a netbook. I had a Dell Mini 10v and actually wrote code in it (C#), it ran Visual Studio 2008 just fine. Granted it's not something I'd want to do every day but it can be done. They're just too damn small for me, after a couple hours of typing on it my carpal tunnel was really acting up so I ended up selling it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:22 PM

I agree as well. Let's procreate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -