How to capture a frame from a DVD?

Need help finding example code & references to accomplish this tas

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1880 Views - Last Post: 02 August 2010 - 06:31 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to capture a frame from a DVD?

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

I am a novice in VB.NET, but I have a personal project to complete and one of the smaller aspects is to capture about 10-20 seconds of video or a screenshot (bitmap,jpg, etc)from a DVD.
This is made even more complicated by the fact that the video files may be .VOB, .AVI or .MPG and using numerous codecs (DivX, Xvid, etc).

I have searched on google and the tutorials here, but nothing seems to fit.

Does anyone have some "simple" references, URL's, blogs, code examples that would help with my quest?
(My policy is not the KISS principal, but the KISFSP ... "Keep It Simple For Stupid People") :stupid:

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

This post has been edited by morgog: 01 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to capture a frame from a DVD?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to capture a frame from a DVD?

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

View Postmorgog, on 01 August 2010 - 06:20 PM, said:

I am a novice in VB.NET, but I have a personal project to complete and one of the smaller aspects is to capture about 10-20 seconds of video or a screenshot (bitmap,jpg, etc)from a DVD.
This is made even more complicated by the fact that the video files may be .VOB, .AVI or .MPG and using numerous codecs (DivX, Xvid, etc).

I have searched on google and the tutorials here, but nothing seems to fit.

Does anyone have some "simple" references, URL's, blogs, code examples that would help with my quest?
(My policy is not the KISS principal, but the KISFSP ... "Keep It Simple For Stupid People") :stupid:

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

When you say "capture" do you mean while the video is playing or do you mean extract from one of those file types with out the video playing?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

FFMPEG can extract frames from video files. Just wrap it using the Process class.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pugnacious Penguin (inspired by no2pencil)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

I suggest that you use an external video player plugin for VB (not WMP, as it doesn't have the codecs). Then you could use DrawToBitmap (if that works with the control) or use some other method to capture the screenshot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

Thank you to all who responded.

I apologize if my statement was unclear.
Please allow me to expand on what my end goal is with the finished project.

The project is to be able to insert a DVD, read the filenames on the DVD and save the filenames to a database, so I can have a catalogue for everything I have backed-up on my 600 DVD's.
If it's a Movie DVD (.vob), has a file with an extension of .avi, .mpg, wmv, mp4, etc ... extract an image (without playing the video) and save the image to the database - linked to the movie name.

Example:
One of the filenames on the DVD is "A few good men.avi" .. the code would read the first part of the filename, then examine the extention & as it is a named extension (.avi), extract an image (without playing the video) and save the name, the image and an assigned DVD Number to the database.

When I'm looking for a particular movie, piece of software, .. anything, .. I will start a database query program that will give me the DVD Number, and if it's a movie, the previously extracted/captured image.

At this stage, I'm only looking at the "extract/capture an image" portion of the project.
I hope this clarifies my intentions and makes it easier for someone to offer some advice on how I would extract 1 frame from such a file type.

I know that this will involve a steep learning curve for me to be able to accomplish the final project and I'm a slow learner with a bad memory but, I don't mind doing the study to learn new things.
(I will look at DrawToBitmap and FFMPEG .. thanks for the advice)

Thanks and any further advise is appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1