11 Replies - 1123 Views - Last Post: 22 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Dual Band Router

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

Hi,
I have a dual band router that I will be needing in about three weeks. It is broken and I am unable to do anything with it because it is for the most part dead. I am able to "latch" onto the thing by opening a telnet session but nothing happens except it is able to have things typed in. Before I continue with my request I want to clarify, THIS IS MY EQUIPMENT AND I WANT NO PART OF ANY HACKING ATTEMPTS ON OTHER PEOPLES EQUIPMENT WITHOUT PERMISSION! Anyway, I was unable to use a tftp session to update the software and it wont work. Again this is not asking for help to hack OTHER peoples equipment but I was wondering if I would be able to hack into MY router using a stack overflow and force it into a tftp session. If this is possible, where could I get help with this? For anyone who thinks that I am asking for help to help hack a neighbors wifi router, IT IS MINE. Why would I ask for help ,ONLINE no less, to commit a crime? I just want to know where to go to for help and whether the thing can even be salvaged.
Mr. O

This post has been edited by Mr. O: 02 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Dual Band Router

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Dual Band Router

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

You may have good intentions, but thousands of others who have the intention of doing malicious things to their neighbors router can use this topic as a resource. That's why we don't support topics that discuss bypassing security.

I agree with you, it's your router & you should be able to f*ck with it all you like. However, Dream In Code does not condone those topics. It's not a matter of legality. It's a matter of our responsibility of content.

As far as where to go for help, I would suggest checking out DD-WRT. I don't know if it will directly help you, but it's a site dedicated to open source firmware upgrades for routers.

View PostMr. O, on 02 August 2010 - 07:45 PM, said:

It is broken and I am unable to do anything with it because it is for the most part dead.

So this part confuses me. Are you trying to fix it, or bypass security to connect to it at low level? Your topic seems to be a two part question.

We're more than happy to help you fix it. But without knowing some key details such as the router manufacturer & model, along with a more detailed description of 'dead', then it's near impossible to try to help you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

Ok, I will go at the problem from another approach. Could I take a flash card with the electronics open and swap the card out from the router and use the "new" flash chip and flash it with a program that allows me to flash it manually instead?

Sorry that was confusing now that I look at it.
I want to take a usb flash memory chip and remove the memory chip.
Remove Flash chip from router
Put Flash chip from router onto the usb card
Find program to put content from the firmware update to "new" chip from router
Write firmware to chip
replace chip in router.
Can this work?

This post has been edited by Mr. O: 02 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:04 PM

Check out the dd-wrt website. I'm almost certain it's what you are looking for. You can flash the routers firmware without having to open it &/or remove any cards, chips, hardware, or whatever.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

What I mean by dead is the fact that I put dd-wrt on a dual band cheap router from tigerdirect.com and it will only respond to telnet session. I think that I accidentally deleted a major file needed by the system to run. The reason I need it is because I need to use the 5ghz frequency band because the 2.4 wifi band is not allowed in the area. I am also wondering if for the most part if I am able to telnet into the thing that I would be able to ftp into the darn thing.
I know I am asking a lot of questions but appreciate any help!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

Was your router on the compatibility list?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

Yes it is on the list. I was having it working for about three months before I tried to add functionality to the thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

If you do a port scan on it's ip address, is the ssh port listening? From what I remember, once that dd-wrt is successfully installed, you ssh onto the device to configure it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

I didnt try that. Stupid mistake. Unfortunitely it is not with me right now. I will be back for support in about a week with more details. Thanks for the help no2pencil!
Mr. O
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

If worse comes to worse, I believe you can hit the restore button on the router. I don't think that dd-wrt writes over that portion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

unfortunitely I think that it does. I have already tried that.

The reason that I am unable to get access to the thing is that I am currently about six hundred miles away on vacation.

This post has been edited by Mr. O: 02 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

I am back!
I tried to get the system to work but the ip that was dispensed was in the 169 range. I ran lanspy but was unable to find anything but the computer. I think that the networking reflashing is out of the question. I did hear from the openwrt community that the pins on the board can be used as a parallel port connection. I do have some linux computers that have that particular port. I was just thinking if theoretically the thing could be reflashed via this way.
Mr. O
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1