5 Replies - 1067 Views - Last Post: 15 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

#1 Guest_Guest*

learning a new programming language

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

so i already know a bit of c#, not an expert, maybe coming up on intermediate but not quite there yet but i do work with it often. how hard do you think it will be to pick up vb.net? i wanted to ask int hat forum but it wouldn't let me post. i will be taking it as a class since the java class is closed.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: learning a new programming language

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: learning a new programming language

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

The underlying framework is obviously the same, but the syntax is very different in many cases. I avoid it as a rule, just because it's so different from the myriad of other C-based languages to which I am accustomed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

Going from VB.NET to C# or C# to VB.NET is a strange experience. The actual steps you take are usually identical, just the symbols and short phrases differ. And in that difference, you will loose hair.

If you're a strong programmer in either language, using the other is simple. Rather that looking for method names, you end up trying to worry out basic syntax.

Personally, I think VB.NET syntax is a hideous mess. It's also pretty unique; no other languages use it. This could be a sign. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 25 August 2010 - 02:47 AM, said:

Personally, I think VB.NET syntax is a hideous mess. It's also pretty unique; no other languages use it. This could be a sign. ;)

very big mess, I was helping a friend a few weeks ago with these questions, some of them were VB.NET related, and that was the ugliest syntax i have ever seen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

I agree, I feel nauseous looking at VB.net code. You'll probably be able to get by fine in the class as long as you are already familiar with any programming language, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

In my experience when it comes to learning anything learning the main ideas of the actions you are preforming usually helps. Focusing to heavily on the technical aspects of programming codes are helpful, however in impedes your creative imagination. Your brain will only remember the constructive side of programing, an example would be a birdhouse. The birds in your backyard need shelter from the spring rain. You have everything you need. Working on this project causes you to lose focus. The project is complete and you produced a doorstop. Why? You weren't thinking of those cold wet birds.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1