• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 4796 Views - Last Post: 03 September 2010 - 12:40 AM

• I am a spoon
  • member icon

• View blog

College and Majors

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

I still have a couple years to go, but I just wanted to ask the college grads/students what college you picked, why, and what major/minor (I assume that not everyone is Computer Science major). I thought I would either go into Biomedical, or computer science. But recently I've started to lose interest in Biomed and I've become more interested in business. Also, I took a philosophy class recently, and now I also want to minor in philosophy or religion.

So, any advice/suggestions?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: College and Majors

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: College and Majors

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

My 'college' was the US Army. I majored in long range marksmanship, with a minor in "Fixed cryptographic equipment repair (32G)"

Comp Sci
Biomed
Philosophy (Yeah, you'll buy a house with that)
Religion

All in the 4 year span of college and you've gotten bored with all of them and now looking for guidance.

So, any advice/suggestions?

Ritalin? I hear its the drug of choice for ADHD
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

Wright State University
cheap and local
Computer Engineering/Computer Science (hopefully double major, if not just ceg) w/ math minor

Tis Rowdy the Raider. <3
Posted Image

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 26 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:57 PM

University of Nebraska - Omaha here.
Comp Sci with a Native American Studies Minor (screw you math minor and your two classes I needed).

I picked there because the IS&T building was brand new, the courses were fun, and I could still maintain a job and residence whilst going to school. It's a great campus and now they have dorms and what not.

For a while I was going to be an astronomy or physics major, but figured comp sci would never steer me wrong. Except for that damn .com-bubble. Bastards.

I regret not taking more art classes now.

Post college I was geared up to getting a PHd in Artificial Intelligence from Mizzou, but had a minor epiphany and declined my acceptance. Arguably one of the better decisions I have had in my life.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

I am going to Mansfield University next year for Computer Sciences major and a minor in Leadership.

This post has been edited by D.Mulroy: 26 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

Stanford University - Undeclared, taking random programming courses that are of interest.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

View Postnooblet, on 26 August 2010 - 12:30 PM, said:

Stanford University - Undeclared, taking random programming courses that are of interest.

i thought you were working on your PhD?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:35 PM

*Moved to Student Campus*
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 26 August 2010 - 12:34 PM, said:

View Postnooblet, on 26 August 2010 - 12:30 PM, said:

i thought you were working on your PhD?

No, I have my PharmD (Doctor of Pharmacy) degree previously from a different school. But I haven't done anything pharmacy related in years. Back then Pharmacy and Biochem was my major of choice and computers were a huge side hobby. Turns out I ended up hating Pharmacy and decided to do computers instead. Sorta ironic.

This post has been edited by nooblet: 26 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

I spent 2 years in junior college then went to University of Illinois at Urbanna Champaign where I majored int Mathematics and Computer Science (that is a single degree, not major/minor or double major). This descision was driven purely by financial reasons. I came from a low-income home, so the government payed for most of my education. I liked computers and this degree was the only computer related one that I could finish in 2 years (the grant only covered 4 years).

As for advice, I would say find something you like to major in. Of my friends, the most successful ones tend to be the Liberal Arts Majors. They are doing what they love and getting paid to do it. The programmers are the second most successful, since companies offer plenty of cushy jobs to build and maintain their technological infrastructure. Everyone else majored in Accounting or Business. They either learned how to program and got a job doing that, work part time, or are unemployed.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

I'm studying at UIUC as well, sup mojo! Double majoring - mathematics and computer science. Why? One of the top cs programs in the world. The location and the cost was a slight factor as well.

As for advice, just take a bunch of courses, and see what you like. If you don't like anything, then why bother with the university in the first place?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I am a spoon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm definitely leaning toward Business major and Computer Science minor. Hopefully, I'll still be able to take a few other classes, and experiment.

------
also,

View PosttlhIn, on 26 August 2010 - 06:44 PM, said:

All in the 4 year span of college and you've gotten bored with all of them and now looking for guidance.

I'm in High School. Philosophy and Computer science are the only thing I've gotten to try. (I've done JETS engineering competitions, but that's more mechanical than Biomed)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

University of Kentucky

Computer Science because Kentucky is a top ranked engineering University, it's an amazing school in general, with a great (instate) price.

and I chose computer science because I already had programming down, it was something that I loved, I just needed to learn structure and theory to go with my practical knowledge. and I hope to make it a career some day
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Baller

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

University of Arizona initially. Tremendous research budget which means great stuff comes from there and great stuff means opportunities to get in on it, shit they led a mars mission (checking out the command center was always an interesting time). I was initially studying Mathematics (CS minor) but with the intentions of working in the computer field. They have a pretty active research section for computer vision which I found deeply interesting.

Transfered.

University of Delaware...costs too much. CS department has serious shortcomings from my outsider viewpoint though they are actively correcting this. Local to family. School as a whole has some serious gold stars for various reasons. They do not tolerate incompetency in the CS professors. Leads to a lot of award winning and/or professionally successful types sticking for a bit while the folks that prove retarded get fired. All comes from a desire to build a serious rep. Not there yet necessarily but the desire to be there is.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#15 Guest_Amit*

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:54 PM

View Posthartra34, on 26 August 2010 - 08:41 PM, said:

Computer Science because Kentucky is a top ranked engineering University

It's not top ranked in anything engineering-related, especially computer science. It's not even a half-decent university for engineering, to be honest.
Was This Post Helpful? -7

• (3 Pages)
  • +