2 Replies - 912 Views - Last Post: 31 August 2010 - 03:25 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

[Haskell] Book choice question

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

I'm taking a course in different paradigms and we were supposed to use a shorter introduction book to Haskell. However I accidentally ordered the wrong book and I am unable to get a refund (I really should start double checking this stuff, second time in two years!). Anyway not so bad, Anyway I been checking through the on I ordered and it seems really nice. My only concern is that it doesn't contains all the information needed for the course so if anyone have insight from using any of the said books I greatly appreciate it.

The book I accidentally ordered: Introduction to Functional programming using Haskell by Richard Bird,
The book I was aiming for: Programming in Haskell by Graham Hutton.

Seeing the first one spans 400 pages and the later only 180 pages I thought that maybe the one I ordered contains about the same information. The course only uses the book as a way of learning Haskell and no exercises etc. is taken from the book so I don't need it in that aspect. So simply put it's a question if I can save those 35$ or if I need to get both.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [Haskell] Book choice question

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [Haskell] Book choice question

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

I think you'll be okay. That book is pretty old though.

There are two books available online that you can read for free. Real World Haskell and LYAH, both of which you can find links to in the resource thread. With all of these resources, you will be fine.

I would actually suggest reading LYAH first and then RWH or the book you ordered (or both).
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: [Haskell] Book choice question

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:25 AM

Thanks! You removed my concern of not having enough information available, now it seems there is good information about Haskell everywhere.

Checked out the resources your recommended and found them to be great. Actually RWH was recommended as extra reading for the course so I definitively take look there and the LYAH website seems to give a good fast introduction.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1