• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 3730 Views - Last Post: 02 September 2010 - 06:59 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Your HTML and CSS coding style

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

View PostLemur, on 01 September 2010 - 11:58 AM, said:

Considering float is a staple of the typical designing of sites it would be ignorant to say that something that works when used properly, and works well, is 'overused.'
No one said that. I said people nowadays throw a float at everything instead of using proper practices. Reminds me of every time someone has a problem with a page and they throw jQuery at it instead of just learning javascript and fixing it themselves.

Realistically the positioning element isn't a good idea considering the annoyance of making it a variable location whereas floats are far more dynamic in contrast.
Why does positioning automatically require making it a variable?

as far as basing an entire layout on it you spend far more time playing with positions than you would have with floats.
You must be kidding me.

Besides, if done correctly I can easily get it to work in IE6...
If done correctly, anything is possible.

Evangelizing on new standards and the best and brightest will only work in California or other tech mechas, and even then good luck. Backwards and out of date? Of course it is, considering how much it would cost a company to do a mass upgrade to all of their facilities as well as the man hours involved. Unless an update is of critical importance (read: not because the web designer/developer throws a fit,) nothing will happen. It's life, you take it as you can.

Read: I don't want to keep up with anything and doing things the old way is best. No one should ever work too hard.

@PhunkRabbit - Now this sounds like you're just looking for "float fans" and a pat on the back. If you hang out online with some of the best designers and developers in the world, you'll find few use float for much of anything and only when required, not the other way around.

Positioning is there for a reason. If you aren't using positioning for most of your layout, you don't know how to use HTML structuring and the CSS for doing that.

This post has been edited by drhowarddrfine: 01 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

DrHoward, I would be really interested to see some reference/sources/substance to your arguments other than your apparent knowledge.

Design examples? working examples? articles or reading matierial that isnt +2 years old. I have offered examples of my work showing my methods, to backup my claims and opinion.

I am looking for peoples general style and technique when it comes to CSS and HTML work, yes its great to see people using floats, or float fanboys as you seem to be assuming, and yes having somone agree with me does give me a pat on the back and reasures me. Your arguments gave me reason enough to doubt my methods, however without substance to back your claims I no longer have such fear.

Bring somthing to the table other than an opinion with an attitude and you might get the respect back and I might take you seriously.

Its a shame becuase you attually started posting in this thread quite well but it seems you cant go long without an attempt at an argument.

If you give others a chance to post rather than just claiming BS on everything maybe we will get some contrasting views other than me, you and lemur.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:02 PM

Look, opinion or not you need to stop insulting other members.

You have to get the idea some time that not everything revolves around your preferences, the customer is the one you need to please, not yourself. Your boss dictates what you do and when you do it, I don't care how special or skilled someone thinks they are, no one wants to be told they're wrong, and by sheer happenstance the boss has the power to make your life hell if you pull that on them.

Mind you I study CSS3 and HTML5, it's just as a matter of practicality it does NOT support the user base I need to work with, which would make me a fool to advocate it at their expense. This is also considering these people have no upgrade potential seeing as a single simple fix would cost a corporation thousands of dollars easily to get every machine. If it still works then it will be kept, unless there's a major issue and there's no possible alternative to upgrading you can be 100% sure the boss and the CEO won't care about you throwing a fit over wanting a shiny new toy. Grow up and get a real job, I don't care how old you are (or by this point in time tempted to say think you are...) you're not above standards and the workforce.

Freelance? Same deal. You either live with it or get a career change.

Now if you would please stop posting blatantly flamboyant opinions based on notions that everything has to be in the latest version. We've been over this one several times and quite frankly no one cares to hear it again and again.

Just in case you don't get it the first 5 times I said it in this post I have no personal problem with new standards and new ways of doing things, but the boss does and that's all that matters.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

I would just like to see something that backs his claims.

Positioning is by no means new.

Plus, well said Lemur, it does seem he likes to flare up at times, but that said I gues we all can at times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:13 AM

@Lemur - I'm my own boss and I only answer to myself and those I hire. My "opinions" are based on years of doing this. What gives your opinions precedence over mine?

@Phunk - Giving a link to your own site as an example of why floats should be used for everything is just reiterating what you are saying.

Meh. This is why I quit mod'ing forums. When you hang out with Clarke, Nyman, Storey, Sharp, Liam, Allsop, Sivonen, Irish and so on, it's difficult to carry on in threads like this. Thus the flare ups.

I'll leave you two to yourselves.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:20 AM

Cya! :D

Edit - Interesting how you are still unwilling to provide somthing to back your opinion. You must have atleast one site finished for your apparent years of programming experience, right?

Yes posting my site does reiterate what im saying, thats what it was soposed to do, it reiterates that using floats creates a well coded, cross browser friendly and efficient website, your point? Backup your point by posting one of your own.

If anyone uses positioning as their prefured method please let it be known and show us how/why you do it. The idea of this thread is to show the differences in coding style, hense the subject.......

This post has been edited by PhunkRabbit: 02 September 2010 - 03:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:59 AM

You can name off whatever aliases you want, I don't care about them, I care about what you have to say right here right now. Either start making valid opinions or get out.

You're an amateur by far, don't give me that you have experience because you've linked to nothing and demonstrated only your own contempt for anyone that disagrees with you. Grow up, you're not fooling anyone here. Freelance or not the time will come when you'll rue the day for disregarding such matters and trivialities, fate is not without its sense of irony.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +