5 Replies - 1488 Views - Last Post: 19 September 2010 - 10:56 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Some advice on the list of php frameworks

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

Hey everyone I've been using php frameworks like CodeIgniter for the a few months.

And want to get an actually list of what frameworks you work in what scenario.

Like if I was building a todo application which is what I am doing now, I chose CodeIgniter for that as it was more flexible.

But lets say I wanted to build a social aggregator tool? Maybe CodeIgniter is too lean for something like and CakePHP would be my best bet.

My goal is too build social email tool, all social networking inbox messages in once place that type of thing or something. And I wanted to know which PHP framework would suit my needs. A lot of parsing and etc, and I rather use a framework instead of creating my own. So please dont suggest starting from scratch :D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Some advice on the list of php frameworks

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Some advice on the list of php frameworks

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

P.S. Did some research, I am leading towards Yii
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:49 AM

Have you looked at SilverStripe? Its already got a module that might be suitable for what you want called postale.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:45 AM

I know you said not to suggest starting from scratch, but you're going to have to be writing the parsers for the messages yourself anyway.

I've personally never wanted to use a pre-written framework, instead have wrote my own libraries and contributed to my own mini-framework. Personally I think it's better as you know exactly what the code does, you can optimise it yourself, you have complete control over changes etc. etc.

Of course it's a personal opinion, but in your case like I say, if you're parsing messages from different social networks, you're going to need to do it yourself anyway as I'm sure there isn't a Framework that handles that precisely :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:08 AM

I think the advantages of working with a Framework is that it includes the things you 'have not thought of yet'. Like when it comes to things like Security and File Management, why would you want to use a custom framework thats going to be accessible for the public (or large social network)? Unless you were super confident what you had already built was stable.

Id built a custom simple CMS a few years ago (and it still runs the websites it is used on very well) but since developing with Silverstripe as a framework I have been able to turn around bigger projects very quickly loaded with features 'that Iv not even thought of'!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:56 AM

View Postmattc, on 06 September 2010 - 08:08 AM, said:

Like when it comes to things like Security and File Management, why would you want to use a custom framework thats going to be accessible for the public (or large social network)?

Because if hackers want to attack your site they have to deal with something unique and unknown. If you use a framework and they've managed to defeat it on another site then they potentially have an advantage when attacking yours.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1