4 Replies - 1165 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Practice with SQL Server

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

Having learned the basics of SQL Server I would like to pursue Microsoft certification. However, I have a bit of a handicap in that I am self-taught at home, so I've no way of gaining any real-world experience other than online. Does anyone know of a web site where I might gain such experience/knowledge? The reason I ask is that I really want to get to grips with SQL Server, hopefully for the purpose of becoming more competitive on the job market ... I'm not currently working in IT.
Any sound advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. In anticipation, many thanks.

BTW, I'm interested in Microsoft exam 70-432.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Practice with SQL Server

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Practice with SQL Server

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:33 PM

I assume you have installed MS SQL Express, right?

If so can you elaborate on "I really want to get to grips with SQL Serve"?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 September 2010 - 11:33 PM, said:

I assume you have installed MS SQL Express, right?

If so can you elaborate on "I really want to get to grips with SQL Serve"?

Yep, sure. "I really want to get to grips with SQL Server insofar as running T-SQL scripts, & all things related to admin & database maintenance are concerned". Hope that's clearer, and I apologise for the ambiguity.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:26 PM

I would try looking for volunteer work with local organizations. I am currently in the same situation, and am looking for volunteer work to count as experience.

You can also try cataloging your home... dvds, books, games, etc. into a database, just to practice some situations where you are weary.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Guest_Ron Harding*

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

i've tried to volunteer, but they say that can't do that because of insurance policy issues. what i HAVE done, i cross trained into MS .NET from electronic engineering. since that time, i have successfully designed/built automated test systems (for 3 companies over 4 years) with c# windows apps that provide remote control via USB/LAN/custom designed electronic interfaces, and electronic test equipment remote control using IVI-COM drivers and SCPI.

so in demos at interviews i have the windows app and sql server database controlling electronic test equipment and providing stimulus to devices or electronic circuits under test. so my deliverables contain electronic engineering IP and apps are directed toward typical EE development team members.

Now, for the database, it provides both test equipment and test session configurability. the user has the ability to save/recall test equipment settings used in the system tests. also, since most of today's equipment has both LAN(LXI - class C) and USB, and Auto DHCP, if you are internet connected then the IP address of all the various equipment is automatically assigned.

this is what I do as an example. in any case, build demos that you show at interviews. invite target company people you meet via linked in page to starbucks and show them your stuff. linked-in gives you a go around of the recruiter / HR folks to the people who REALLY count in the job search.

my two cents

Ron
Was This Post Helpful? 0

Page 1 of 1