3 Replies - 11492 Views - Last Post: 20 December 2010 - 02:48 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

to import 3ds max object into java

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:17 AM

i have created a 3ds ma object and i need to import it into JOGL. how can i do this? and using arrow keys i need to give the movements for the object, how it can be done?

This post has been edited by riya.g.s: 19 September 2010 - 03:18 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: to import 3ds max object into java

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: to import 3ds max object into java

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:49 AM

export the 3ds max model as a .obj file

look at the way the file is laid out

it should have vertices, texture coordinates, normals and facets

you need to find a way to read these in

I did a similar project in C with opengl using link lists to store all the info
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

JOGL simply provide openGL bindings for Java and you have to do things as loading models, physics and so on yourself OR use some library for it.

bonyjoe provided you an excellent answer here. obj files have a very simple format and is therefore really easy to write a loader. However the format doesn't support more advanced things like animation, physics and lightning which is important to keep in mind when choosing it. You need to analyse the functionality you will need to use and thereafter choose or construct your own format. It's quite common to instead of writing a loader for a format you instead write a converter to your own where you only support the features you need which could make it easier for you as well as saving loading time.

When exporting and drawing keep in mind that triangles are usually faster to draw so you should triangulate the model and draw the faces as triangles where it is possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:48 AM

hi nasm

my name is yuvraj currently am working in jogl not much expert in jogl jus now start working on it. can you plz specify some link to import maya 3d object into jogl. it wil more help ful for me.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1