• +

42 Replies - 15382 Views - Last Post: 04 October 2010 - 11:11 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Chrome Overtaking Firefox

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

View Posteclipsed4utoo, on 27 September 2010 - 11:59 AM, said:

So wait...first Firefox is better at security, but when I show that Chrome hasn't been exploited yet, you say it's because Chrome is closed-source. So does that mean Firefox will always be exploitable because it's open-source? If so, then how can Firefox be more secure?

You contradicted yourself there.

I didn't say anything of that, I just said it's harder to find exploits in Chrome because it's closed-source. On the other hand, thousands of people can contribute to fix bugs in Firefox.

Also, Firefox can be tweaked to its max, improving its security to the point of almost complete anonymity, while Chrome limits its configurations to really basic stuff. In other words, Firefox is the power user browser, while still maintaining a end-user friendly interface.

I forgot to mention in my last post, Google Updater is the process known to send personal information to Google without consent. And why in the world I'd want a process running 24/7 to update my browser anyway?

This post has been edited by Seta00: 27 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

View PostAtli, on 27 September 2010 - 09:52 AM, said:

View PostSeta00, on 27 September 2010 - 01:14 PM, said:

Google Updater is know to send private data to Google without user consent.

The Google Updater is open-source now, so if there ever were privacy issues with it (which I can't seem to verify, beyond accusations by random blog/forum comments and privacy evangelists) I doubt very much you have to worry about that today.

Seta00, did you even read this post?

This post has been edited by Dogstopper: 27 September 2010 - 05:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:26 AM

Here you go Seta00

http://code.google.com/p/omaha/

There goes the code for Google Update.

View PostSeta00, on 27 September 2010 - 08:17 PM, said:

So wait...first Firefox is better at security, but when I show that Chrome hasn't been exploited yet, you say it's because Chrome is closed-source. So does that mean Firefox will always be exploitable because it's open-source? If so, then how can Firefox be more secure?

You contradicted yourself there.

I didn't say anything of that, I just said it's harder to find exploits in Chrome because it's closed-source. On the other hand, thousands of people can contribute to fix bugs in Firefox.

So Chrome is more secure than Firefox?

Personally, I could care less about how much of the browser I can change.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:31 AM

View PostSeta00, on 27 September 2010 - 11:17 PM, said:

... And why in the world I'd want a process running 24/7 to update my browser anyway?

A background process that updates the software when the computer is idle, versus a process that is executed every time you open the browser (and consequently slowing the startup down)?

Personally I would choose not to have to wait. Especially knowing that the process is safe and only doing what it is supposed to. (Which is easy to verify.)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

View PostDogstopper, on 27 September 2010 - 08:28 PM, said:

View PostAtli, on 27 September 2010 - 09:52 AM, said:

View PostSeta00, on 27 September 2010 - 01:14 PM, said:

Google Updater is know to send private data to Google without user consent.
The Google Updater is open-source now, so if there ever were privacy issues with it (which I can't seem to verify, beyond accusations by random blog/forum comments and privacy evangelists) I doubt very much you have to worry about that today.
Seta00, did you even read this post?

Nope, just saw it now :P

View Posteclipsed4utoo, on 28 September 2010 - 07:26 AM, said:

Here you go Seta00http://code.google.com/p/omaha/There goes the code for Google Update.

So wait...first Firefox is better at security, but when I show that Chrome hasn't been exploited yet, you say it's because Chrome is closed-source. So does that mean Firefox will always be exploitable because it's open-source? If so, then how can Firefox be more secure?You contradicted yourself there.
So Chrome is more secure than Firefox?Personally, I could care less about how much of the browser I can change.

It's not about what you can change, but what about the browser represents to the development community and to the web itself.
The Mozilla Foundation and the Firefox project is continuously trying to improve the web, and that's what makes me proud of being a Firefox user and supporter.

View PostAtli, on 28 September 2010 - 01:31 PM, said:

... And why in the world I'd want a process running 24/7 to update my browser anyway?
A background process that updates the software when the computer is idle, versus a process that is executed every time you open the browser (and consequently slowing the startup down)?Personally I would choose not to have to wait. Especially knowing that the process is safe and only doing what it is supposed to. (Which is easy to verify.)

Yes, having a process running all the time or not is purely a user choice, while I choose not to have it, you may find it better.
The little detail that Firefox has and I like is that major updates are completely optional.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

View PostSeta00, on 28 September 2010 - 08:27 PM, said:

View Posteclipsed4utoo, on 28 September 2010 - 07:26 AM, said:

Here you go Seta00http://code.google.com/p/omaha/There goes the code for Google Update.

So wait...first Firefox is better at security, but when I show that Chrome hasn't been exploited yet, you say it's because Chrome is closed-source. So does that mean Firefox will always be exploitable because it's open-source? If so, then how can Firefox be more secure?You contradicted yourself there.
So Chrome is more secure than Firefox?Personally, I could care less about how much of the browser I can change.

It's not about what you can change, but what about the browser represents to the development community and to the web itself.
The Mozilla Foundation and the Firefox project is continuously trying to improve the web, and that's what makes me proud of being a Firefox user and supporter.

Actually it does matter what I want. I don't have loyalties to any one company. I use the best products(IMO) that I have access to. I don't take "pride" in using a specific piece of software. I support Chrome because it's currently the most secure(hasn't been exploited yet), and the fastest(start times and javascript performance...this is referencing RELEASED versions..not alpha/beta/RC versions). When the next browser comes out that is better than Chrome, then I will move to it. I moved from IE to Firefox because Firefox was better than IE. I moved from Firefox to Chrome because Chrome is better than Firefox(IMO).

Google is also trying to make the web better. The better the web is, the more money they can make. They have an incentive.

View PostAtli, on 28 September 2010 - 01:31 PM, said:

A background process that updates the software when the computer is idle, versus a process that is executed every time you open the browser (and consequently slowing the startup down)?Personally I would choose not to have to wait. Especially knowing that the process is safe and only doing what it is supposed to. (Which is easy to verify.)

Yes, having a process running all the time or not is purely a user choice, while I choose not to have it, you may find it better.
The little detail that Firefox has and I like is that major updates are completely optional.

That little detail is available in Chrome also. None of the updates are required. You can turn off the automatic updates. It's not a pretty process(editing the registry), but that option is there if you don't want it to auto-update.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:47 AM

And I'm not even a web developer... :rolleyes:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:54 AM

How is firefox improving the web anymore than any other standards compliant browser?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 29 September 2010 - 11:54 AM, said:

How is firefox improving the web anymore than any other standards compliant browser?

Cuz they got props!

Posted Image

Is it just me or is this thing giving me the "evil eye"? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:28 AM

I'm new to the site and looking for a discussion on the pros and cons of Chrome. Too many threads came up using Search. TIA!

I'm new to the site and looking for a discussion on the pros and cons of Chrome. Too many threads came up using Search. TIA!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

It has been a year since the last time I opened firefox in my laptop. xD

For me, Chrome is fast browser and really easy to use. IE is being left behind yet again by another browser xD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

For me it's all purely aesthetics and speed.

I was a big firefox kid for years before chrome hit the streets. I always hated the user-interface, but stuck with it because well hey... it was the best of the bunch (especially seeing as I spend most my time in ubuntu, but wanted something that also worked on windows when I traversed there as well).

I dabbled in chrome right when it was released, and fell in love. But didn't adopt it until a linux version was finally cut and out of beta.

And the main reason I fell in love... the look. It's simple, I've always loved google for one simple thing... simplicity. I'm a minimalist of design at heart. I can't stand clutter and annoyance...

to tell you the truth this very website goes completely against my design principles and drives me effing bonkers. But for what I need this forum for... it does the best of the bunch. I've been to 3 other similar forums (I'm here for .Net, C# and VB.Net to be exact) and left them because well... the VB users were cynical, annoying, bastards who couldn't take ANY criticism of there language lightly. So here I am at... holy god what is all that stuff on the right of my screen!!!!?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:11 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 04 October 2010 - 11:27 AM, said:

to tell you the truth this very website goes completely against my design principles and drives me effing bonkers. But for what I need this forum for... it does the best of the bunch. I've been to 3 other similar forums (I'm here for .Net, C# and VB.Net to be exact) and left them because well... the VB users were cynical, annoying, bastards who couldn't take ANY criticism of there language lightly. So here I am at... holy god what is all that stuff on the right of my screen!!!!?

The columns to the right are a work in progress. They are going to eventually be changed. If you were here before the upgrade, the last column(the one with the forum links) was actually on the left side of the page, which put the forum messages in the center of the screen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +