6 Replies - 5444 Views - Last Post: 04 October 2006 - 12:26 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Linking to a frame of a movie clip in another swf

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:09 AM

OK, heres the deal. I have two swf files. One is an interactive presentation, the other is a flashy animation. When you click on the fourth button down of the interactive presentation, it opens up the flashy animation. After the animation finishes, I need it to link back to the section after the animation in the original presentation. Ive got it so it links back to the original presentation, but how can I get it to link to a particular frame (frame five) within the movie clip (named all_pages) on the presentation swf?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Linking to a frame of a movie clip in another swf

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Linking to a frame of a movie clip in another swf

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:19 AM

View Posttheh1tman, on 3 Oct, 2006 - 08:09 AM, said:

OK, heres the deal. I have two swf files. One is an interactive presentation, the other is a flashy animation. When you click on the fourth button down of the interactive presentation, it opens up the flashy animation. After the animation finishes, I need it to link back to the section after the animation in the original presentation. Ive got it so it links back to the original presentation, but how can I get it to link to a particular frame (frame five) within the movie clip (named all_pages) on the presentation swf?

try
_root.all_pages.gotoAndStop(5)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

No go.

This is the scripting I used so you can click the button at the end of the animation that links you back.

on (release) {
getURL("GENESISPRESENTATION.swf",_root.all_pages.gotoAndStop(5))
}

all it did was open the presentation again. It didnt go to frame 5 of the all_pages movie clip. Anything else?

If it helps, I gave the frame in question an instance name.

This post has been edited by theh1tman: 03 October 2006 - 08:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:52 AM

try naming the button instance ("your_button" in my code) and then put the code in the timeline. (this is my next guess.)

your_button.onRelease = function(){
	_level0.all_pages.gotoAndStop(5)
}

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:26 PM

still not working and I think Ive discovered why.

all_pages doesnt appear in the scene 1. Instead, all_pages is nested inside a movie clip called pages. So I need to go from a seperate swf to keyframe five of mc all_pages inside of mc pages inside scene 1 of the OF (original file).

Lets see you guys do this one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:32 PM

back to your original post: what do you mean by "opens up a flashy animation"? is it loading into a movie clip? is it loading into a level? these are the only 2 options that i think will let you target back to your OF in some form of _level0.pages.all_pages.gotoAndStop(5) or _root.pages.all_pages.gotoAndStop(5). if you are using getURL to open the presentation i do not think you will be able to target the OF in the manner in which you are seeking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:26 PM

OK, I finally got it working through an alternate route. Hopefully this wont ever be an issue again as I came in to work on this project in the final stages as the designer who took it 90% of the way though was terrible at flash and organization in flash. I personally would have built the animation into the original movie, but for whatever reason he set it up in a seperate file. What I ended up doing was just creating the original presentation starting on the fifth frame of that movie clip, giving it a seperate filename, and linking to that. So because of the original designers inability to do anything in flash, I had to use three swfs for this presentation instead of just one. I definitely appreciate the help and as Im (relatively) competent in flash, it is far from my expertise and yet seems to be what the agency is going to have me focused on so I will definitely be back for more help, though hopefully it will be a little easier as I will know my own stuff inside out.

Thanks again!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1